Thursday, February 05, 2009

Thursday Thoughts #22 You Have to Keep Your Sense of Humor--

1. A recent quote by Thomas L. Friedman in an Op-Ed column of the New York Times regarding the recent work of Congress in approaching the financial crisis... "I’ve always believed that America’s government was a unique political system — one designed by geniuses so that it could be run by idiots. I was wrong. No system can be smart enough to survive this level of incompetence and recklessness by the people charged to run it."

2. Hubby came home from his dental appointment and said they wanted to watch him more closely with follow-up appointments because of his deep pockets. Are you sure they were talking about the condition of your gums? I asked.

3. I got an email from the online retail marketing company called Overstock in which they said that they now are offering a real estate section of their Internet catalog. My husband said "Of course, it fits. Real estate is certainly an overstocked item these days."

4. Late last night as my hubby and I fell into bed after a particularly full day of house work and errand running I said " Is it Tuesday ALL READY! What happened to Monday?" My husband looked up at the ceiling and pulled the covers snug under his chin and then said, "Monday came and went pretty fast. Oh my God, we ARE actually going to die."

5. I don't know if you have seen the "Twilight Zone" television ads from the Corn Refiners Association where they claim in their new campaign that sugar, honey, and high-fructose corn syrup are, "nutritionally ... all the same." This isn't funny, but I had to add it to my Thursday thoughts because it makes me smirk.

6. I learned that we laugh because "When people laugh a lot, those endorphins get running around up there in the brain and interject into the hypothalamus and all that stuff, and the humor just comes out, and that is beneficial," says Kurt Kilpatrick. Sounds good to me.

7. How to tell a joke..."Only tell a joke to people who have expressed interest in hearing a joke. If people laugh at the joke, leave the room immediately. That way you look cool." — Tina Fey, creator and star of NBC's 30 Rock

8 comments:

  1. You're in shock that "Monday came and went pretty fast"! Hey, I'm wondering how the heck we've already reached day FIVE of February!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a long article in The New Yorker about Tom Friedman, and this quote makes me like him even more!!
    2. I've heard that same line and had a lot of surgery for that back in the 70's and 80's. It didn't cure a thing, so don't let them dupe you too.
    4. I;m still wondering what happened to the year 2000!
    5. Makes me smirk too, and too many people will believe it.
    6. I try to laugh as much as I can and mr. kenju makes that possible - even when he doesn't mean to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those....especially #2. I went back to my dentist this morning as the continuing saga of "where has all my money gone" continues....

    Have a great day and thanks for the laughs.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:12 PM

    I needed a laugh today and there you were. Thanks so much for sharing - you just never know how something you write can make all the difference to someone else... . I really appreciated it today. Have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know where Jan. went? These made my very long day end with a smile.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Tins, what a genius....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Humour's everywhere, only if we could look for it. I'm laughing a lot nowadays, looking at the stupidity and incongruity of life(and myself).
    My favorite is the 4th one in your list!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems like time is racing by this week. I think it goes faster the older we get.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.