Monday, July 28, 2008

The Big Weekend or A Precautionary Tale


This blog entry is a tale for those future grandmothers/grandfathers wondering if their young adults are ever going to get it on and present them with some grandchildren. Remember, it is said that you sometimes get what you wish for...

Recipe for potential disaster, mix the following carefully:
4 thirty-somethings--two males and two females
2 toddlers--11 months and 12 months
2 preschoolers--3 + years old
2 old farts

If your first-born grandson sleeps in your room because the baby sister is sick with a fever, you will not need an alarm clock. He will present you with a rubber snake before the sun is up.


Fortunately, he can pretty much dress himself. This is very useful as your eyes are not yet open, and, unlike him, you cannot form complete sentences. Thus, you are not much help.


Baby sister does not let a little flu bug hold her down. She may have gotten the household up three or four times crying with a stopped up nose and congested lungs, but she still takes her morning crawl right after a breakfast of blueberry pancakes. Note to new grandparents...you had better keep up! Mommy is barely functioning.




Once you pass the test to see if you can get to all the dangerous places in the house before the crawler and retrieve all the bugs you thought you had vacuumed, then it is time to go on the post-breakfast constitutional. This usually results in one or the other being carried on the way back as the morning gets hotter. Do not hold your breath as you will not be the one to be carried.


After lunch it is time for the mid-day swim. Remember to keep your camera dry because you will get wet even though you do not get into the tiny pool.

No one is safe from getting wet including the local wildlife.

The first day begins to wind down with a toe counting exercise. As luck would have it all of them have all of their toes!!

And, as usual, it is the male of the species that crashes just before dinner as the sun is receding behind the trees.

Footnotes:
1)The adult males were the only ones who had time to play several games of ping pong, fish from the dock and actually stay up late and watch a movie. How in the hell we let them get away with that I don't know, but we continue to let them think they are the stronger and smarter.

2) This visit 90% of the folks were excellent eaters and praised my meals until I got that warm glow of energy to do it all again the next day.

3) Tabor lost 1.5 pounds!! I have been putting in two miles on the elipitcal many mornings with out budging any fat cells. I just need more weekends like these where I never sit and rarely eat.

6 comments:

  1. I have been there and done that.
    You survived. I survived.
    Now I have 2 arriving with mom and dad in 2 weeks to get settled at Vanderbilt not far from me. Another flying off to Northwestern in Illinois. It seems like yesterday they were my babies. Then today have 6 year old watching a video here at my home and a 3 year old at daycare.
    Tabor, trust me this time will fly by. Memories are being made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent and entertaining post! We are beyond the toddler days but it's not a lot easier with teenage grandchildren. It's still wonderful though....when they arrive.....and
    when they go home:-)

    I could not love a picture more than the toe counting one. Cute, Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there and done that, too! I didn't lose any weight, though, because every time they ate, I did too!

    P.S. CUTE children!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful photos.
    Thanks for sharing.
    My favourite has to be the male species crashing.
    Congratulations on that weight loss.
    And thanks for the tip,I am going to hand out invitations for some grandson visits.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOLOL - what a fun post, tabor! these are pretty cute kids, aren't they?! glad you all had a good time, even those poor men who had to work so hard! hope the little cutie is feeling better by now and no one else comes down with her virus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am tired just reading this. Oh, I see how everything got wet. How far did those squirt guns shoot? 50 feet? I would yell "Point them to the flowers!"

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.