Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I am so OUTTA here.

I was less than a month from the big retirement date ( this past April 4) when the former 'Team' that I worked with sent me an email that we needed to get together for the transition to exchange ideas and a little 'farewell." This is so totally spastic as far as I am concerned, because the last time I was included in a meeting with this 'Team,' was March 22, 2007! Other than the routine outreach mailing I have not met, seen or traveled with any of them and have no idea what their initiatives, projects and needs are. I do know that they meet almost weekly. Quite frankly, I have learned to enjoy work-life without them. Other than the few snide emails I exchange with others with whom they have burned bridges, I have gotten over the insulting ignoring process. Now I have to sit through a 2-HOUR transition meeting tomorrow and a farewell lunch next week. My tongue will be bleeding!

Maybe I will bring the huge half-inch thick folder of web files and pass it across the table and say "Any questions?"

10 comments:

  1. It speaks volumes that they keep you out of the loop for an age, then book a 2-hour meeting to get it all taken care of. Ya, as if. Someone there needs to learn about succession planning. Thankfully, you won't be accountable for teaching 'em. Good riddance to them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't even know what I would be tempted to do in this situation. It wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure. I'd be my usual sarcastic self.

    Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least I hope you stay awake... I am so disinterested in work that I find myself dropping off in front of the emails at my desk! I still dont know when I will find out whether I can retire "early" or not. A difficult time for you, and for me!
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I double dog dare you! ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I did it!! I had emailed them to send me an agenda please...and then when I showed up at the meeting I smiled and handed out two copies of the material in the governance folder and asked if they had questions. They appeared surprised at the extent of my contribution but also had the nerve to wonder if the heft of this information would be considered a beneficial activity by my office to increase its visibility. I nodded my head negatively and said that my office considers it a 'service' that we provide to them, and upon my departure it will be contracted out pending THEIR provision of resources...oh my...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. This reminds me why I've always been on the margins of employment: as a parttime college teacher, and now an ESL teacher for adults (only loosely connected to the school system). This view of office absurdity quiets my occasional complaints about low pay, no benefits, and no office at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since you're retired, do you HAVE to go? I'd duck it, if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you can dodge the lunch. A meeting is one thing; breaking bread and faking somekind of personal connection is another!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a hoot...but, it is sooooo not worth your being upset or worrying. YOU DON'T WORK THERE ANYMORE! LOLOLOLOL...i thought when i first read your post they had simply decided to give you a surprise going away party and used the excuse of a meeting to get sufficient time reserved on your personal schedule.

    they may decide not to "fund" the service - NO resources. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband (State Univ. non-academic administration) refused the hypocrisy of it all -- including lunch. There would have been some people whose presence would have been mutually enjoyable for him and them, but he would have none of it and just left.

    Wish you well in your retirement.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.