Sunday, May 06, 2007

While They Were Sleeping


It is now 6:30 in the morning and I have been up for half an hour. I was awakened by the intermittent rushing noise outside, which I, at first, thought was a distant motor boat out in the bay with its sound carried by the wind. Instead I discovered it was the sound of the newly green trees waving their open flags in the first rays of the sun as gusts of wind pushed them down in arching bows.

The daughter, her husband, Xman and hubby are all still snuggled away in their beds missing the beauty of this morning. Yesterday's gentle soaking rains have cleansed the air of all softness. The morning sun is sharp, the leaves are kelly green, the bark and branches are crisp in the shadows and the sky is scattered with leftover racing clouds still dressed in their early morning gray and pink and lavender nightgowns.

Even the birds are dashing to the feeders instead of gliding.

My 6-month pregnant daughter now waddles down the stairs in blurry-eyed search of a cup of milk for Xman. I offer her coffee, but she is not ready and will return to bed and snuggle with Xman while he gets his early morning sustenance.

All are missing this magic time. This is my sustenance.

(Go here
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=849146694200968214&hl=en to see why these mornings are precious...thanks to Robert Brady for the resource.)

7 comments:

  1. You are like my mother, who never missed an opportunity to greet the first light of day, usually in her housecoat, sitting on the front porch with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabor, I'm so glad you take the time to notice the beauty around you. The sights through your eyes makes wonderful prose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as if you are having fun. Heck with the rest of them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our magical times nourish us, I am so glad you can appreciate them and enjoy them too. (off to follow Robert's link - he is such a great writer. I think I found you via him all that time ago!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the second site that has given me the plight of the poor Canadian farmer. Very good story (but also sad).

    ReplyDelete
  6. The notion of missing out on early mornings and sunrises is unthinkable.

    When my children were youngsters, early mornings were the only times when there was any peace and stillness in the house, and I have cherished these times ever since: the high clear light, early sunshine filtering through the trees and birdsong - there is food for thought in these early moments and nourishment to sustain us all through the day, whatever the day will bring.

    I LOVED this post, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful post. I love the early morning, but these days the sun is up by 4:47, and I just can't get up that early. With another six weeks to go till we get the longest day of the year, my eyes cross at the thought of it.

    And your interview questions are:

    Here are the rules, if you would like to be interviewed:
    1. Name one thing that you wanted to be when you grew up that you didn't become, but that has shown up in other ways in your life. Tell us about it.
    2. What one thing would you change about yourself if you could?
    3. What is the most important thing to find in a friend?
    4. Tell us about one thing you did before you were six years old that is in some way typical of you still.
    5. If you could grant three wishes, who would you grant them to?

    1. Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.”
    2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
    3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
    4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
    5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.