Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Early to bed, and better yet, early to rise!

There is a bit of tension between those folks who are up bright and early like eager squirrels ready for their daily nut hunt and those who role out of bed late wondering why their gray matter is so sluggish and why they can't find the coffee pot.

I am a squirrel and usually up at 5:15 getting my shower, dressed and then making a quick cup of French Press java to carry with me as I walk the few blocks to the office. I left the apartment at 6:00 this morning, and everything went as usual, until I reached the steps up to the parking lot. Something was odd...what was I missing...oh.. yes, that great cup of coffee had been left on the kitchen counter.

I was over half-way to the office, so, since my walk takes me right by the Caribou Coffee store, I decide to get a cup from them. The lights were on low toward the back of the store, but the door was unlocked. There were two people ahead of me waiting for their order to be taken, and the two java vendors were busy setting out all the carbohydrates for "breakfast on the run" and getting the paper cups stacked. They seemed to take their time taking orders. First the woman in front got her coffee. I wasn't paying much attention when the man in front of me got his coffee. Good, me next.

"I want a 16 ounce Fireside." I looked at the young man in the dreadlocks behind the counter.

He turned and proceeded to fill my order while I reached for my wallet.

He handed me the coffee and then shook his head. "No charge. Technically we are not open, so it is free this early."

Geese mareese, I have been way too efficient in the mornings...making my own coffee and all.

4 comments:

  1. WOW, you got lucky! Our Caribou went out of business. Maybe they gave away too many free ones....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to a car dealership early in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Random act of kindness: I love this.

    While I treasure my sleep, I've always loved the peacefulness of early mornings in the neighborhood. I feel privileged to be able to walk the streets before most folks are up. They have a certain rhythm to them, and you notice the world somewhat differently than you do later on in the day.

    I would patronize this coffee shop specifically because of this lovely little gesture. Wish we had one closer to home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I like coffee press coffee better but I keep breaking them ;)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.