Saturday, March 24, 2007

Barking up the Right Tree

According to an article I found on the Internet (the pentultimate location for research information) there are "probably 118 species of native trees," This was stated by Robert Zahner, coordinator of the Arizona Register of Big Trees. "Approximately half of those are endemic to the desert Southwest, which means they occur only in southwest New Mexico, southern Arizona, and southeast California, and also, of course, in Sonora, Mexico. Nineteen species are endemic to Arizona, which means their national champions must be in Arizona" he says. In spite of this information I still could not find the species name of these beauties below. Of course, since I did not take pictures of the leaves, I am at a bit of a disadvantage. But while these photos may frustrate amataur botanists, the beauty below should give artists lots of inspiration. (As in my prior post, the photos have been reduced in size, but if you click on them, they are still pretty inspiring.)

















This last little guy gets honorable mention because he is hanging in there!!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh oooh oooh. Isn't AZ gorgeous? I have never actually been to Sedona or the Grand Canyon. Friends lived for 7 years near Phoenix and I visited often, we'd go up hiking around Flagstaff and Payson and all aroud Phoenix (which is an ugly city, I think, but thousands of miles of trails and desert walks within a short drive.)
    Great photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to reach out and touch the bark so badly! Especially to feel the smoothness of the bark in the second photo down.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.