Friday, October 13, 2006

Rome Part II


We had allowed time to spend a second day in Rome. This turned out to be a good idea since we had only seen the outside in a sweaty blur as we taxied and then ran by. The Sistine Chapel was closed because it was a Sunday, so the M.I.L. had to forgo that tour for another time. Hubby and I had seen it years ago and it was beautiful and we felt worth the time if you could get your mind around the hundreds of tourists at your shoulders, the guards calling out telling people to keep moving, to stop talking, and the people ignoring the guards and talking, etc., etc. If I had to see it again I would pick a cold day in winter. Also we were wise to bring binoculars as the ceiling is far above you.

This trip we toured the Roman Forum below:




and the areas around that which are a necessary part of a Rome visit. We started with Circus Maximus which was near the hotel...a large area for horse racing and mock battles. Now just a large open area in the city and a long walk to other places.


We had lunch at an area near the Coliseum where back in history they did some outside training of the Gladiators or animals or whatever. While historically there were all kinds of events at the Coliseum including flooding the place and holding mock naval battles, the Coliseum always resides in my mind as such a blood-thirsty place that I have very mixed feelings when going there. It is also very touristy--notice all the heads below in the photo. Mock Roman soldiers with large hairy legs beneath their plated skirts willing and ready to get a picture taken with you for a fee--I did not take a photo!

We did set aside time to see the Baths of Caracalla which I had not seen during my prior visit and this visit was most impressive. Some of the wall and floor mosaics were still visible. This engineering marvel built in 212 AD used between 15-20,000 cubic meters of water (both hot and cold) per day and held as many as 1,600 daily visitors. Due to the tight living quarters among the Romans it was a central part of the Roman social life.

The photos above don't really do it justice and I didn't want to load ALL that I took.

Next week on to the sunny island of Sicily.

5 comments:

  1. My relatives are from Sicily, I can't wait to see where my dad's people came from :)

    Rome looked awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tabor - photos are very good! you have been a busy bee. looking forward to the next batch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in an area occupied by the Romans, but it still amazes me how old it all is! Great images, thanks. Looking forward to Sicily too. (I had been to Sicily before Athens, and Athens was a disappointment!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! What a marvelous trip!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.