Thursday, May 25, 2006

Here's To Your Health!!

One of the characteristics of aging is that you tend to read more health news because you want to live forever. I have been doing so and my synthesis (without links to the original sources---you will just have to trust me) follows below:

A new study hints that eating milk chocolate may boost brain function. (Heck, I knew that! I’ll bet they got hundreds of thousands of dollars of my tax money to run this silly study.)

If you needed another excuse to savor a glass of good red wine, scientists say it may supply antioxidants that protect the delicate hairs of the inner ear that are essential for hearing. (What?... I need all the excuses I can get.)

Heavy pot smoking does not increase lung cancer risk. (I don’t smoke pot, but now I can with a clear conscience.)

Not enough sleep increases obesity. (This is a relief and I am going to quit setting the alarm clock.)

And to add to the sleep/health dynamic:
Women who drink between one and three cups of coffee a day substantially lowered their risk of dying from inflammatory and cardiovascular diseases. Researchers said that coffee is an anti-oxidant. ( More coffee, so I can wake-up, please.)

Is over exercise is bad for you? That question was raised last week by a 61-year-old reader who worried about the safety of her running regimen - an hour a day, five days a week. A trainer told her such a cardio schedule was likely degrading, not improving, her health and fitness. (This is for all those skinny-can’t-pinch-an inch types…slow down and smell the roses!!)

A California county is expected to receive a $6 million windfall from Proposition 63, a measure passed in 2004 that taxes Californians who earn more than $1 million a year in order to pay for mental-health services. (As we know, based on examples like Tom Cruise, this state needs better mental-health services, even if TC won’t take advantage!)

And good news for my husband who used his retirement money to by a shiny red kayak:
"To move the kayak at about 5 mph is going to require about 0.1 hp of effort," said Finlay. That is equal to about 400 calories per hour. "Four hours of paddling is going to burn up about 1600 calories! A weight watcher's dream!"

5 comments:

  1. Four hours of paddling = one medium-sized lunch? I'd rather do without the lunch....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'm out to buy some Lindt milk chocolate, then. I'll eat some, have some red wine, sleep in tomorrow morning and drink plenty of coffee to wake up.

    Likewise, I'll skip the pot. I can't stand smoke of any kind.

    Darn, I have to go to work tomorrow. Okay. I'll do it Friday night.

    I'll need an aspirin the next morning. I imagine it will thin my blood and keep any clots from forming. I like this philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off in a kayak or a canoe and paddling happily through beaver ponds, lakes and little hidden rivers - lovely stuff, and if it burns calories too that is an added boon or blessing - I am all in favour of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool info! Would love to kayak at our new lake. It's a must try on my list:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This page is fantastic, the infomation you show us is really interesting and is good written. Do you want to see something more? you can visit too: The marijuana careis an original annual plant of Asia,of diverse mountain ranges of the Himalaya.
    Head Shop, Herbal Grinders
    Bongs, Glass Pipe. Visit us for more info at: http://www.headshopinternational.com/

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.