Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Showing Off or Sharing With


My sister's visit was all too brief. She stayed with friends in Virginia (near 'Scooter' L's house) so you know it was in a nicer neighborhood than our apartment could provide. But, she did spend two whole days with us and we had fun catching up and gossiping. We drove down to the house and saw the finished retaining walls. I think they look a little scary and I am totally amazed that the county does not require a fence on that last wall. I am planning on planting a lot of ornamental grass for soft landings everywhere. I also think a gate might be needed.

Of course, we had to look at the baby oysters and determine how they were doing. This is our second crop and should be harvestable this winter. Wind was blowing like crazy and pretty cold.


We then took her on a two mile hike into a nearby beach. Wind wasn't blowing behind the dunes and the weather was a perfect spring day for this long walk. We interrupted reptiles trying to thaw in the sun and actually they totally ignored us.


I should save the photo of the swamp below for another blog post as it certainly lends itself to some type of comment on life, but I wanted to share it now. It kind of makes me dizzy just looking at it.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, could you imagine trying to navigate that swamp in a boat? I wouldn't know which end was up.

    I liked the turtles. I was a little hesitant to click on the picture to enlarge it, 'cause I wasn't real sure what I would see in the reptile department. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:51 AM

    I might have a flower garden...and you don't (yet)...but you have water! I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying the photos of your house building project. We have built three houses in our lifetime and there is just nothing to compare with the experience. Unless you count growing a baby from conception to birth. I think I must be a frustrated builder at heart. I love the smell of new lumber, the excitement of breaking ground, the skeletal look when the framing goes up, the planning and placement of each and every electrical outlet, light fixtures and then the finished product before you move in. All pristine( after the workmen leave..)sometimes they are unbelievably messy) The finished house without any clutter or excess baggage is poetry in motion.

    I do envy you the lake view. There is something about a water side view that is so soothing to the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! Your house is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, Tabor!

    I am particularly partial to the little shelled dudes hanging out on the logs. Out back here on the pond, we live closer to the "skinny" end where all the turtles congregate. Watching them climb out of the water to sun themselves is one of my favorite activities on hot day.

    NOW I can go back to you next post (I skipped down to here because I wanted to see the reptiles)
    Snakes don't bother me at all unless they have thoughts of wrapping around one of my legs. Perish the thought!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.