Friday, April 28, 2006

First Friday


It is 'late by my standards' for a Friday morning, and yet all of the rest of my family is still in bed. So I get to blog in peace, and wonder how people can stay in bed so long when the weather is gorgous!

I tried to call my son twice yesterday to see if he was driving down. I had my phone off in the evening when he returned the call. He has an old Honda, so I am concerned about his making the trip. I got a garbled message from him when I checked my voice mail before bedtime. He said something about being on his way and probably spending the night in a motel. This is so like him, getting a late start and then wasting what little money he has in a motel! So, now it looks like we will see him sometime this morning, but I don't know when. Waiting for another call so I can give the gate guard his license number to let him into the HT (Hoity-Toity) compound.

My son-in-law is flying out of here today to go to a business meeting in Denver, so the condo will not be anymore crowded. My daughter and Xman are flying out on Monday and we are staying through until next Friday. I don't know how long my son is staying during this week.


We spent Tuesday morning on a bike ride to Pinkney Island which is a bird preserve. It is a large island and really only accessible by bike, although the very first time we were here my husband and I spent an entire day trying to walk it and were able to cover only part. There are a number of man-made lakes and other bird habitat, so you are able to get closer to all of those exotic water birds. I took a ton of pictures that last time I was here, but with an older camera. I still need a telephoto to get the best shots.

It was Xman's first real bike trip and other than falling asleep on the way in and the way out and getting shaken like a milkshake on the rocky roads, he seemed to enjoy himself. On the way back to the car he was getting tired of riding and started to cry. Because of the bouncing his voice was wavering and he couldn't decide whether he wanted to cry or just making his voice do funny sounds.

He is genetically predisposed to hate the out-of-doors. The expression on his face when we first introduced him to grass at Easter for an egg hunt was priceless. He actually shuddered! Then when we introduced him to sand and finally ocean waves on this trip, he again had strong misgivings. But, as of yesterday, all of this is now behind him and he actually walks into the gentle waves, even though the water is a little cold still.

If I forgot to mention he is walking and almost running. He is into everyting and as a result my husband has had to scale down his great outdoors adventures. I think he is looking forward to Xman's departure just a little so that he can do the canoeing and fishing he wants with his son or I. I am looking forward to less 'catch me if you can' and 'oopsie, don't cry' times.

Well, hubby is up and others should finally be dragging themselves out of bed. Off to my second cup of coffee and to reading all of your blogs.

5 comments:

  1. You sound relaxed and Xman is having quality family time. Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now it is your time to relax and do your thing. Grandma duty is fun but how well I know it can get tiring after a while no matter how cute and sweet the little ones are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Early morning time alone is so priceless to me....quiet, reflective moments that I share only with the "feathers" who join me, chattering and singing about their day which began even before mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:13 AM

    Gonna have some ocean pictures posted soon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy, thanks for reminding me of the quality of the time.
    chancy, Grandma duty is so addicting that when it is over you U realize how exhausted I was!
    Sky, you and I are on the same wave length with starting the morning slowly and quietly with nature.
    Colleen, I will get some pictures up soon--but I will have to add at least one or two of the small one---as I am in love.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.