Monday, October 17, 2005

The Reward


I made a deal with hubby that if he helped vacuum and make the bed while I cleaned the kitchen, I would reward him with a canoe trip. I tell you, one would think I had promised an afternoon of wanton sex. He was on that vacuum cleaner like a snail on lettuce and zooming around our apartment. We were spanking clean in no time and took off down one of our nearby rivers by noon. The photo above is deceptive. There were some strong gusts at times almost blowing the canoe into the weeds. We had to keep our paddles in the water much of the time, but when we were going downwind, it was a most rewarding day.




Due to bird migration, many of the birds were gathering and endlessly chattering. They roosted in the trees and also on the grasses in the marsh. They were mostly redwing blackbirds shown in the first photo. They would fly overhead in the hundreds (thousands?) exploding like a fireworks display in circles or at other times undulating like a rollercoaster wave of fish schooling. We also saw a red tail hawk (I think) fly over our canoe and as you can see, I also caught an airplane. I actually didn't see the plane when I took the photo. We saw ducks, and of course, high above us, noisy geese honking.


This last photo was taken as we got to the dock and were unloading the gear. It is a man and his two dogs, looking like they were having a wonderful time. Unfortunately, I think he was hunting birds since we had heard shotgun fire a little earlier in the day.. The dogs were wet -- probably from retrieving. But it was picturesque anyway and the dogs were clearly in heaven.

8 comments:

  1. Say, Ma'am, this reminds me. I haven't seen a pic lately of the house-building project. Progress being made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house didn't wash away from all the rain, in spite of our bad luck. Yes, Hoss, I have been posting photos, etc. --They are on the Build This House Blog --- Link on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:27 AM

    Makes me want to get off the computer now...and get outside!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:14 PM

    That first picture of the great outdoor is beautiful!

    Picture of the little ones sleeping not bad either!

    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice bird pictures! I especially like the RTHawk pic .. why don't you add this link to the modulator's friday animal blogging feature so other people can see the pictures, too?

    GrrlScientist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hedwig, Guess I could, but this seems to me like such a simple minded post. I just do this so that I have a little journal of my life's activities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The entire message is worth reading, if only to read this gem; "... he was on the vacuum like a snail on lettuce".

    snert

    that is sooo funny.

    GrrlScientist

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photos are lovely.
    When I saw the photo of the hawk (gorgeous), I thought that was a tiny bird just above him. Now you see Tabor, I couldn't have resisted temptation with that photo. Had I snapped that and posted it, I would have had this incredible story of an enormous and rare nuclear size hawk, edging away from a close-flying plane.

    No one would have believed me, but it's so much fun to play pretend.

    Nice post - I especially love the bribe job on hubby.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.