Thursday, August 11, 2005

Beauty Can Be Deceiving

Five years ago in the spring of the year I took a day's walk down this lovely road below. Enjoying the spring weather and the company of others. It was one of those perfect days when the breeze was just right, the walk was not challenging and the natural beauty was everywhere. The end of the road led to a grassy knoll and this view of the ocean.



The grassy knoll was probably the home of the enemy. The enemy gave no sound and was never seen. 24 hours later I found a tick on my thigh and 48 hours after that I got sick. In three days I had the bulls-eye on my leg and my neck glands were sore and swollen. Yep, Lymes disease. Fortunately, we caught it in time because I had the textbook symptoms. But I went to a seminar a few months later on Lymes and was told that I could get it again in another bite with or without the symptoms showing up. That was reassuring.

2 comments:

  1. How scary! And this is exactly why whenever I spot a beautiful area with wildflowers and whatnot all around, I hesitate before running in to take photos. Because I just do not do well with bugs, especially those that can make you THAT sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember that not all ticks carry Lymes--it is a very small percentage, and even those may not make you sick. You have a greater chance of being hurt in the city.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.