Friday, July 15, 2005

Potter Passion vs. Wusthof


As lover of books I have to admit that I haven't read a single Harry Potter book (apologies to Hedwig)! I have so many other books still on my list to read and I am an anal retentive so must read from number one in any series and that just hasn't happened. Besides, I hate pressure to read a book before the movie. Amazon.com said it was planning on selling 50,000 copies per hour! A lot of hype out there.

Of course if you peruse the news you will see there are all kinds of stories about who to, when, where, and how these copies will be delivered. And then just type "Harry Potter" in Google's news engine and you will get a bunch of interesting stories surrounding this passion. It sort of reminds me of the passion for the tulips years ago....;-)

What is it about us that makes us push to be the first to read the book, see the movie, buy the fashion statement? Does it lose it's value if we don't get it at the earliest?

My rush usually ends up in a sale item issue. Overstock finally got one of the few brand names of knives I was looking for! I put in an order for the "high likelihood of early sellout' item ( see photo) for my new kitchen. My current knife set is 30 years old and incomplete along with a lot of bits and pieces of knives from elsewhere along the way. NOW one complete set! AND at 50% off. Who can beat that?

4 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous set! I'm sure you will enjoy cooking more than ever.
    I selected a Japanese kitchen knife for my friend among items listed in her wedding gift registry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read all the books so far - and I will pick up my copy of the new one this weekend. Do yourself a favor; read them all ASAP. They are wonderful books and you might really enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice knives! I don't see how people can cook meals everyday without a good set of knives. To me that's more important than the pans.

    As far as Harry Potter, I think I read 1 and 2, way back when I had more time and when I liked to read. I've started reading books again, but I feel as though I'd be jumping on some sort of bandwagon if I bought the latest Harry Potter. I'll just wait till I see the whole set on sale somewhere - like years from now - and maybe I'll read it aloud to the kids when they're older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WILL probably read them all someday. But like mnababies, think I will wait a little for the hype to die down. Of course then, no one will want to talk to me about them!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.