Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Dream House

Several people who now know that we have broken ground on the lot are asking how the 'dream home' is coming. Being the exacting soul that I am, I keep thinking of putting on the brakes for a minute when they say this. This is not my 'dream home.' A 'dream home' means to me that I could have everything I would want with no compromises. I am a perfectionist and I could have it exactly the way that I wanted it, if it was a 'dream home.' Instead this home will be my retirement home and filled with lots of compromises...liveable compromises...but compromises just the same due to geography and money limitations. This doesn't mean that I am not excited about all the possibilities ahead. It just means that I am a realist and will always be holding my breath for the next surprise compromise.

Jim Blandings : “It's a conspiracy, I tell you. The minute you start they put you on the all-American sucker list. You start out to build a home and wind up in the poorhouse. And if it can happen to me, what about the guys who aren't making $15,000 a year? The ones who want a home of their own. It's a conspiracy, I tell you - -against every boy and girl who were
ever in love.”

1 comment:

  1. I know all too well what you mean. Although in my case, I'm usually getting an earful of what other people would be getting if this were their house ("What? No stainless steal appliances and granite countertops??"). Then, of course, there are the small details we decided to forego due to budget restraints, and only *I* would know these things are absent. Even though we're in a different stage of our lives, I really hope we don't ever have to move again. I highly doubt we'll be in this place forever though.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.