Saturday, April 16, 2005

Strange Saturday Morning

I sat down at the computer this morning after getting Hubby off to Hawaii and decided to surf some blogs on the net. I brought up my Firefox browser and lo and behold got that first-time user window asking if I wanted to use the 'default' profile. I clicked yes and then got a response that the default profile is ' in use do you want to create a new one?' Heck,yes.. lets just get on the Internet here. I put in my name as the new profile and then discovered that I no longer have access to the thousand or so bookmarks I have carefully created on my PC because I am a new user of the browser.

I went 'exploring' for them across my harddrive without luck. i imported bookmarks from the IE browser which I rarely use and got back about 30-40% of some of the stuff. Can't find my blog friends links, my garden links, shopping, reading, writing...UGH!

So I went on my blog to at least add the commenters from the last year or so. It was then that I discovered two of the older blogs which I hadn't visited in a while have gone into the black hole of bytedom. Another blogger had said goodbye last month, so there was some closure to that, but it is strange to find that bloggers whom you shared ideas with are now gone, and it is really forever, because you are not going to accidentally bump into them again and recognize them like you do neighbors who have moved away.

What the h.... did my son do to my computer yesterday that lost all the bookmarks?

3 comments:

  1. Try this:

    (Steps may vary depending on what version of Windows you may have)

    Click on Start
    Search
    All Files and Folders
    Type in:

    bookmark*.h* (just like this)

    Let the computer search for all the files that match this criteria.

    When it is done, hopefully you will have some results.

    Choose one and right-mouse-click on it. Choose Open With:

    Open the file with Mozilla Firefox or Explorer and you will see all the bookmarks that are listed in that file. Go through each one until you find your lost bookmarks.

    More than likeley you haven't lost your old bookmarks. They are just located under another Profile.

    Good luck! Let me know if you get stuck and have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the help. I just now tried that and also tried favorites with * all over the place and they appear to be truly gone, gone, gone. Found lots of other bookmarks that windows and browser dump on the PC though.

    I have never had this happen before except when migrating to a new PC or new version of Windows and then all of those files get backed up, of course (something I have to do on this computer and have been putting off for a year!).

    When my son wakes up I will ask him, but I know I will get a blank look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I hope that he realizes what happened and can put things right again. I know I'd go nuts of my bookmarks disappeared because hey, it took me 1.5 years to find all those job hunting links that I use weekly!

    GrrlScientist

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.