Saturday, November 13, 2004

The Other Side of the Looking Glass

I spend too much of my time worrying about my hair color. It is graying, but not in the striking Heloise or Cruella DeVil way. More in the way of dirty herringbone. So I dye it. I dye it myself until I am sick of the work and then I make an appointment to get a professional dye job.

I have been without a regular hairdresser since my favorite gal from Iran retired over two years ago. Therefore, I go from place to place looking for a home. In desperation yesterday, I went back to the high end salon my daughter chose for her wedding a few years back.

This is really high end--customers in tight jeans including those in their 60's---everyone with botox smiles., little four-year-olds dressed like Brittany Spears, etc. It is also expensive. I always feel like Cinderella's step sister in these places. I can barely afford them, and I feel like such a hypocrite when surrounded by all these dames that clearly relish in all this attention. I also feel like a hypocrite, because I know it should all be about getting old gracefully.

I decided to get the dye and highlight and cut. Came to over $200.00. I am so NOT worth that much for such a temporary fix in this aging process. But, I also hate not looking my best. Took three women and three hours and I do look much better. At least this will get me through an upcoming wedding and the holidays.

2 comments:

  1. I think the moral boost is worth every penny. Everything is getting more expensive these days. You can think of it as part entertainment - watching the 4 year-old Brittany wannabes and the 60 year-old Brittany wannabes. I think I would pay to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the customers were a real mixed bag of types...although since it was a Friday most of the under 50 crowd must have had money since they were't working. I guess they could have been in Real Estate. All the Real Estate people I know look very good!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.