Saturday, October 30, 2004

Material girl

Over the past year I have become more and more aware of "U-Store" units. They are popping up everywhere--within 2 to 3 miles of each other. Is this a reflection of all those divorced people who don't want to give up their stuff when they lose their homes? Is this due to those homeless folks who still can afford a rental unit for the stuff that reflects their life? I know that some of this storage is for people with hobbies or equipment for their jobs. Maybe this is a reflection of how many young men and women are now overseas in the "war" and storing stuff till they return. I think most likely it reflects the fact that we have too too too much stuff in our lives and our lives are disrupted too often. My brother married a few years ago (for the first time in his 50's), and of course, he had a ton of stuff from his home and melded with her home they are now storing a home's worth of furniture. The problem is that the furniture is depreciating while the cost of storing it is not.

When we sold our house and moved into this rental, we used a u-store for a few months until we sold, gave away or threw away a lot of stuff. Then we cleaned out the rental garage and stored what didn't need climate control in the garage and then put the rest of the stuff in boxes in the basement. We are now moving into year two of our rental house and haven't even opened these boxes once.

I read a book called "Simplify Your Life" by Elaine St. James. It is one of those Hallmark type books that you read in the bathroom. One of the author's suggestions to begin uncluttering your life is to pack some items in a box that you haven't used in a long while. Label the box with the date. After a year, if you haven't been looking for anything or used anything in the box, throw it away! Don't open it, just toss it. It makes a lot of sense to me. (Actually why not auction it off?) The u-store manager told me that is what they do when people fall behind on their rent of the storage unit. He opens the door, lets people look at what is inside, andt hen takes bids.

When I move to this new house (if we can ever find a design we can afford) I hope to try to live more Zen. Open spaces, useful activities, and less catalog purchasing. Of course today it is more Internet purchasing, since you can buy ANYTHING you want over the net.

2 comments:

  1. Simplifying our life is what we always have in our mind over the past 27 years of our marriage, and thus we didn't bring any extra furniture when we moved into this condo in the suburbs 13 years ago. I do exactly what the book suggests but I keep those boxes for 3 years. I don't know why 3 years but I just do for that period.
    Now we are thinking of moving out when we retire in 10 years and live in an old Japanese house in which we can have much more space and lead more simple life in an old life style. I think simple is the best both spiritually and materially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came upon your blog quite by accident and saw that you were in Seattle. I live very close to Seattle so I just wanted to say hello from the place you just left.
    I like your page here. You are welcome to visit me in return if you like.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.