Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The Petrified Forest


I am really old and getting older. I can not bare to watch the TV shows that are so popular today. I am not writing about the 'reality' shows, I am writing about those monotonous, saccharin, shows of love and sex and heartbreak and new love and new sex and more heartbreak. These plots used to be left to afternoon soaps where bored housewives could get some escape from housework and diapers and baby babel.

Young attractive people look at each and stumble through primitive dialogue as if they were just learning to talk. They are introspective to the point of disappearing! No one ever seems to have a good day for the entire day.

It is no wonder that the twenty-somethings think a job is just a paycheck and that they are marking time until something big and meaningful happens in their lives. Watching too much of this stuff can petrify any developing brain.

1 comment:

  1. You may be correct...but that depresses me even more. I think it is reflective of a society that must increasingly be stimulated emotionally and not intellectually. (I used to love watching Star Trek because the problems could be applied to social problems of the day but now the show has become a series on violence, semi-nudity and really bad acting!)

    You do raise an interesting question as to whether a new technology such as the Internet improves our communication and ability to see more globally--or is a tool that only makes us think that we do.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.