Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bragging Rights II

While I pay people to work in my yard I also spend time doing hard labor in others' yards.  Last week work was done on the Children's Garden.  Below you can see four raised beds for the vegetables that will get grown this summer and taken to the food pantry.  Hubby in his eagerness overplanted so...

We requested space to expand, double the space, to another four raised beds.


That area above that is mud and packed clay is just waiting for us to add the wood frames, the landscape cloth, the gravel and then fill the beds with soil.


This, of course, took more than one morning to accomplish.  Hubby had to dig drainage ditches below the beds and lay that black pipe in the background once the cloth was tacked down.


Meanwhile I and another much stronger dude shoveled gravel for the paths.


Then the other two worked this gravel over the drain pipes.

I was so exhausted at completion that I failed to get the photos of the final garden...but maybe in the coming weeks once the lettuce and peas are growing, I will share.

16 comments:

  1. I love vegetables but my oh my this looks like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressed. I hope my husband will share my joy of growing plants someday. Grand project and wonderful goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of hard work --but OH, what a good cause!!!!! That is AWESOME.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great effort. So much hard work, I'm tired just thinking about it. I'm sure the vegies will be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have earned bragging rights. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a heckuva reclamation project. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo to all who worked so hard on this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did well.
    Exhausting work but doesn’t it make you feel good.

    I am looking forward to seeing the results of your labours - lots of lovely vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I think I'd like to see the finished work. You sound totally bushed, but the end result will be worth all the work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so ambitious with all those new beds- It's still frosting here overnight, so no outdoor planting to do yet. Have a few sprouts in the house finally if it's ever warm enough out there for them.
    Wish I had such a great yard crew seen below- But I'm IT-

    ReplyDelete
  11. RYN: No remote. That was George and his camera taking a shot of the two of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every year it feels like I do less and less and our garden is shrinking. We have some volunteer lettuce coming up and a row of Swiss chard seeds in the ground so far. STILL need to rake out some flower beds. Luckily our location is a private dead end and wooded and no one sees it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that looks like a lot of hard work! I must come back to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool. You look very fit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. RYN: Most of the photos are in the cloud two places. I'm not a very trusting soul. Then for a year or two they remain on my computer and are on my backup computer. The logs and journals are on my computer, online in two places, and on my back up computer. Once a year I put all the years stuff on a disc. Having lost stuff online twice now, I am vastly non-trusting.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.