Friday, February 08, 2008

Contrasts


This special doll belonged to me at one time long ago. I could not leave the room without her crawling speedily behind me almost causing an accident if I stepped back too quickly. Her little green and navy sundress is one of many that I made from scraps of materials I had. Almost all of her clothes were homemade because we lived on an island that had no clothing stores. Most of the native children ran around naked anyway...so she was the most overdressed. Thirty-some years later, HER little girl, on the other hand, has literally three or four very large plastic containers filled with hand-me-downs in pristine condition in all sizes that will last for years to come.

4 comments:

  1. That is one adorable little girl Tabor. I never learned to sew but you really did well.

    It was the slide for TK too. ;)

    Thanks for the warm thoughts.

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweetie pie. If babies had to rely on my sewing skills they would have to run around naked too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is/was beautiful! I used to sew for myself and my kids, until they decided they wanted "store-bought" clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents like to use a Hebrew phrase, le dor vador, which translates directly to "from generation to generation". It speaks volumes about the traditions and behaviors that naturally move from parents to children and beyond.

    I find it immensely comforting as I look at our kids and realize I've become a model of my parents' parenting.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.