Thursday, April 12, 2007

Homage to the Salt of the Earth


Who was this man, the salt of the earth?
The foundation of each day for me and others?
His day was never filled with fire or passion.
His day was always the same.
His day was one foot in front of the other.
His day was being there, without complaint and without recognition.
His day was meeting his responsibilities without expectations other than Friday's paycheck.
Other's were smarter and richer, and yet, he was without greed or envy.
He left each morning before the sun came up with that black lunchbox packed by Mom and in his gray worn work clothes.
Sunday fried chicken, the baseball game, his sons on the floor reading the Sunday Post, this was his happy reward.
I remember his quirky smile when we discussed the concept of celebrity.
He would cross the street for a friend but never for a famous idiot.
I remember his uncomfortable smile if we talked of God.
He dropped out of school in the sixth grade and became a man at 12 to save his parents' farm
With his final soldier's paycheck, he paid off that mortgage.
He had faced the War and survived keeping all the ugly memories to himself.
He raised five children and saw them all go to college with money made by hard labor.
He always felt intimidated by those with formal education.
Yet his children who were all well-educated knew they never could be as smart as he.
He was part of that great generation who went quietly into that good night.
That great generation that only asked for a roof and a meal and a healthy family.
That great generation whose sacrifices we cannot even imagine.
He knew good from bad and right from wrong by feeling in his gut.
I will never meet his stature, he raised the bar very high.
I can only hope to hang on to his values, to pass them on as best I can, in this crazy world.

8 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful post! I could have written it about my dad with one exception; he only had 1 child (and not a birth child, at that). Your dad and he were truly the salt of the earth. I fear that men like them are passing too soon, and not enough of them are being born these days (or taught).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a beautifully written tribute Tabor. He reminds me of my papa Jack :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, just beautiful. Such a tough generation that brought us through some very hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my Dad. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous tribute. I can't imagine having a father like that. My sister and I have dealt with so much pain and abuse from ours. And, he is still around continuing the same hateful behavior which made our childhood a nightmare.

    Thank you for the recent comment you left on my blog. Unfortunately, I can't even post comments right now! My blog got converted over to the new blogger format and is in worse shape now than ever! I lost my profile and avatar in the process, and sometimes cannot even sign in! I have never seen anything like the mess blogger seems to create. I wonder sometimes if the people who work at Google even know much about programming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post, Tabor! Just lovely words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so beautiful and touching. Hats off :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for penning this down. happened to read this on Vishwa s blog.
    It is such a beautiful, heart touching poem !
    Thankss !

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.