Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Work It Baby!!!

I have been sluffing off. I used to be so good about exercising 30 minutes most mornings and 60 minutes on the weekends. This came about because of some back difficulties that I had about 8 years ago. I went into therapy and then, being the type A person that I am, I decided to bump it up a notch when the insurance company stopped paying for the therapy. I got DVDs, video tapes, weights, benches, etc. and WORKED it baby... My back pain completely went away! It was such a good reward after a year of debilitating pain, that I committed myself to never returning to the slug mode I had been in. I had been spiraling into a depression (and since I had never been depressed in my life it was both fascinating and frightening).

My posture has benefitted and even a dance teacher noticed. I also lost a 'little' weight and my clothes fit better, which was also a reward since I could justify buying some new clothes. So exercise became my mantra.

Well, this final move to the apartment (maybe it is just the aging process as well) has changed my exercise routine. There is not so much room ( I HATE PUBLIC GYMS) and I can't be as aggressive in exercising since my husband is usually still sleeping. These excuses are preventing me from exercising as much and as regularly as I used to. Oh well. Oh hell.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:17 PM

    Hi. Thanks for visiting me earlier today! I completely understand about the return to sloth mode...I have just started running (around five weeks ago) and I'm determined I'm going to stick with it. It's amazing how much better I feel already. Oh, and I just noticed you have a wine blog...my kind of blog! I'm heading over to check that out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:26 PM

    It's so easy to get out of the routine. Have you ever tried a trampoline?! You can jump with weights and you don't have to jump high to get the benefit. It's sort of fun in a boring excercise sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A trampoline? Can't say I ever considered that. I guess if I could get over my tremendous fear of such a thing it might be a good idea.

    E, remember wine and running don't mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I used to exercise regularly, so many factors had to be just right for me to be able to do it - from the weather to the jog bra to the shoes. Moving from one place to another makes it difficult to maintain that routine, unless you go to a gym. But yeah I understand why you'd want to avoid that scene, although I once was a member of a gym that was associated with a hospital and I liked it quite a lot. In the a.m. most of the people there were more serious about exercising than socializing. Hopefully when you're more settled you can get back into the swing of things. And remember, packing and unpacking is exercise too. At least that's what I think anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.