Saturday, September 24, 2016

Touching Base

Crazy busy life I am having right now.  I am not complaining as I know the quiet and lonely afternoons are just ahead.  Both sides of the coin are important in our lives.

Heading out with 30-somethings (that in itself is cool) to canoe a nearby river.  Spent several hours getting prepared for dinner with them this evening (French mussel soup, spinach tomato salad, steamed crab to pick and eat with cheese roasted potatoes, followed by simple ice cream for dessert.)  Made a buttery croissant casserole for breakfast as well.  I just had to brag.

Prior to this event we went up to the D.C. mall to listen to a book talk by Mary Roach at the Hirshhorn Gallery.  Interesting and I had not read any of her books so was not sure what to expect!


This above is considered "modern/contemporary(?) art" outside the museum.  We found it a bit confounding with our lack of an arty background.  I loved the Rodin sculptures, as I always do, and will post on one of those maybe.

Getting to the museum two days before the opening of the African American Museum was a horror of a nightmare.  The President is speaking outdoors on the steps of the museum today, so streets were closed days ahead of time and I am sure dogs and police went through every office within a five block radius!  Took us an hour to finally park in the public parking garage which cost a small fortune.

Hopefully I will be able to write a real post with something thought-provoking soon...or have time for more of this drivel.


17 comments:

  1. Your meal and time with your friends sounds wonderful and healthy. That's a win/win in my book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's alright to post and catch up on drivel. This is the essence of our lives, really: at least as measured by time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is the man with the cup part of the sculpture?

    ReplyDelete
  4. An anxiety sculpture? Good for you braving the traffic to get to the museum. Your day on the water though makes me go "ahh."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sculpture is a cautionary tale! Your meals have made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. His expression embodies what i would say -- why does this always have to happen to me? Enjoy your time with the 30-somethings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Mary Roach and her humor ... her columns in Reader's Digest; plus I've read a couple of her books like Gulp and Packing for Mars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rather like that piece of art. You can't look at it without imagining it being your car. But I do look forwar to your posts on Rodin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your meal and water adventure sounds wonderful. The traffic, not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read all of Mary's books. She is a treasure. And I cannot imagine driving around in DC traffic on a good day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of art has me scratching my head. I just did a mini nighttime art tour around town here and 90% of it had me shaking my head. It makes this car look sophisticated by comparison. On the other hand, your menus always leave me drooling. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same question Ellen asked. Is the man part of the sculpture?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This seems to have been a busy summer all around. At least you are doing some fun things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't get a lot of modern art.
    Your meals sound interesting, and much better than what I make.
    Hope you are enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I often find it hard to get my head round "moder art" - but the rock on the car truly makes a statement. Mostly about how unpredictable life is. Blessings from Dalamory.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The so-called art work isn't much, but your photo is great!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.