Sunday, September 18, 2016

Learning the Hard Way

I have this little garden bed on the other side of the turn-around in my driveway that is used for those annual flowers from seed packets that I come across.  Those seeds that are free from the seed-exchange, or that come in the mail, or that I have collected from the prior year and lie scattered in an old shoe box.  Most of the seeds do not succeed since it is too far from the nearest hose to water with any regularity and it competes for sun and sustenance with two tulip trees that grow right beside the bed.  I have put an ugly little metal fence around it since there are also a few plants that rodents love to eat in the spring and they can be protected here.  Since the flower bed is only 6 feet by 4 feet, it frequently gets crowded with  the hardy and fast spreading cosmos and in years past celosia.


It is a bit of an experimental ever changing flower bed.  This past year I planted larkspur.  I was not anticipating much success because this plant does not like a hot climate.




It took off like a house afire.  The plants did not need staking as they were able to lean against the curved fence as they reached away from the trees and toward the sun.  I had never tried growing larkspur before, but the seed packet was a gift.  They were lovely.  The light colored double petals of a few plants was perfect for photos. And it bloomed for a couple of weeks at least.  Visitors commented on its loveliness.


When we finally had a break in the heat at the beginning of September I headed outside to clean up the summer gardens.  The larkspur, while hidden to some extent by the prolific cosmos, had turned into dark brown stalks of dead plant matter.  I reached over the fence and pulled it all out and carried the 4 foot long plants to the burn pile.  Back in July I had already collected a batch of seeds.

Then  a few days later, I learned a lesson.  I had read years ago that larkspur if eaten by cattle, or another other animal for that matter, will kill.  Farmers do not move cattle into their fields until the wild larkspur has died back.  I had read that somewhere, but I did not know how toxic this plant was/is!

At first it looked like an infected bug bite.



You can see in the photo above how a second area appeared just from me folding my arms while I slept.


You can also see from above the outline of a bandage I had placed over the bug bite the second or third day when it looked infected.

This rash on the inner sides of both of my arms was burning and itchy and spread like crazy.  It started as one bug bite that looked like it had become infected in my upper inner arm and this grew in blisters to the size of a quarter.  Then it crawled down my arm and at night spread to my other arm while I slept.  I thought I had an infection and because of the intensity of its spread, my mind went to those nasty staph infections that are so hard to control (MSRA!)!  Even my doctor wondered what it was and when I convinced her I had not been near any poison ivy she started me on antibiotics and steroid cream.  I washed sheets and pillowcases and towels and hubby kept up a sterile regime away from me.  The rash did not move to the top of my arms where the skin is less tender.

As you have probably guessed by now, the cause was gathering all those long dead larkspur plants in my sleeveless shirt.  It has been about ten days and I am now getting back to normal, although the rash, which is turning darker in color, is still there without all of its prior nasty side effects.  Perhaps TMI, but lesson learned!

25 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that beautiful plant was so toxic. Thank you for sharing.

    Your arms look so sore. I can only imagine how bad it felt. I hope it clears quickly now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! Those seeds should come with a warning. Never heard of that before, sorry for how you found out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! That looks really bad. Looks like fire ant bites except for the blistering. Hope it's better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I didn't know that about larkspur. It grows wild around here, blooming in early summer only. That's a bad enough rash that I feel like there should be a warning on the seed packet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing!!!
    I guess I will never plant larkspur.
    I had very bad poison ivy once. My doc gave me steroid shot, and oral steroid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had NO IDEA that larkspur is so toxic. I'm glad you're getting back to normal, but what a scare!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Larkspur
    and try to have it grow
    without success.
    Thank you for sharing.
    May stop buying plants at Lowe's
    trying to get them to reseed..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them too but did not know their full story. Ouch. We have the wild ones in a nearby park but none here. Maybe there is a reason for that as this has long been ranching land for cattle and sheep

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't have known this plant was so toxic. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea. Won't be planting those. It looks like the rash I got from poison oak some time back. I am so sorry you got this. The pictures are even painful to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remind me to admire this one from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I planted the seeds this year and was just admiring in my garden this afternoon. I thought it was a perennial but now I hope I will not see it again. I will be very careful when I remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That rash is awful! We have some larkspur in the garden this year and have grown it before. the plants end up in our compost bins. We have never experiences any problems. Knowing this we will be careful not to expose any skin to the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  15. holy cow! I grow larkspur every year, have for years. rocket larkspur blooms here in the spring and I always let the stalks dry out and then pull them out and have never suffered any kind of effect. perhaps you are just hyper sensitive much like I am to poison ivy. I did not know that about it being poisonous and the not letting cattle in the field. I can't imagine why the long dead stalks had such a terrible effect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really? I was all set to get some larkspur until I saw the rash. Could you have just let it go to see and maybe reseed for next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just means I have to keep hands and arms covered when I clean out the placce!

      Delete
  17. My comments on this rash are truly unprintable. Yes, glorious stuff, but be fully armoured when getting the dead stems down. What a horror story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This stuff happens to me constantly! I remember learning that Shasta daisies are called Flea-bane because they make you itch- I did learn that the hard way too. Mostly tho, thanks to Benedryl I am still alive thru all the reactions. Alot of plants do this to me-

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that is a nasty reaction, sure hope you are doing better. They don't grow well here, so I don't plant them. I have learned the hard way to wear long sleeves and gloves when working in the garden. My skin does not like a lot of plants that never seem to bother others.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH MY GOSH! I can hardly believe it! Such a pretty plant can cause such an awful reaction. I'm glad you're getting back to normal now. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. No hugs please:-) YIKES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I saw you photos, I thought - that's Delphinium. Then, I looked it up and saw it's part of the Larkspur family. Our wild Larkspur actually grow shorter and have a spur. I grow those tall Delphinium perennials in my garden and have never had a problem, but I usually let them go to seed. The deer don't bother them! What a scare for you. Lesson learned (for me, too).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oops! Or rather ouch and double ouch! The rash looks horrible - I have some larkspur in the garden but fortunately it is not spreading. We get too much frost in the winter and these things are killed off. Hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.