Tuesday, February 02, 2016

What is that smell?

Is it a bouquet or a stench?

I lived in an apartment for two years before my retirement.  It was a change I had to make because we sold our house and had no where to live.  We were retiring in a few years and had not decided WHERE we wanted to live, and felt the housing market was too squirrely to wait for another few years when we might find it more difficult to sell the big old house.

The big positives in this new lifestyle were that it took an hour to clean the whole place.  I lived across the street from my workplace.  Everything I needed including shopping, hardware, restaurants, cultural activities and mass transportation were just blocks away.  It was a new lazy way to live without the yard work and the low utility expenses.

The negatives were that I rarely got to know my neighbors.  We may meet at the mailbox but many tenants came for just a year and then left.  My view from the apartment was of a parking lot and the rooftops of business buildings.  I missed my gardening.  There was little room to entertain company unless you went to the lobby with human traffic and stale air, and the kitchen was not exactly set up for cooking.  Our first Thanksgiving I actually bought a large box Thanksgiving dinner from the local supermarket.

The other adjustment was the closeness of living spaces with strangers.  Fortunately there was only one yelling match that took place in the stairwell off my kitchen door. 

But I also frequently smelled curry in the hallway.  Now I do love curry but not everyday and certainly not that stale smell that lingers in the morning as I ride the elevator down to work. There are those commercials that remind people the smells of their pet can be hidden to them but very off-putting to others.  You can always tell when a toddler lives in a house no matter how careful they are in changing the little one.  And there is the joke of stale cabbage odors and cigarette smoke in homes of the elderly.

Well, once my new home had off-gassed its odors of wood, sheet rock and paint, we noticed something a little off in the master bedroom closet.  Now to clarify, this closet is HUGE as The Donald would say.  It is not only walk-in but there was room enough to put the grand children's portable crib when they came to visit.  We checked out the shoes, billed sports caps, and dark corners.  I checked hubby's suits which he no longer wore and we had some of them cleaned.  We could not identify the smell and eventually we no longer smelled it...because we got used to it.

Once or twice when my son visited he commented that the closet smelled funny.  He did not make a big deal out of it, probably thinking old people shed skin and stuff, and therefore, their closets smell funny.

We never could figure it out until yesterday.

Hubby was going through all of his old photos albums, his parents albums and diaries etc. in a box on the top shelf.  He called to me and said he had figured out what was making the odor.  In his hands was an 8mm movie tape in a metal case.  I could smell the acid yards before he reached me, the vinegar syndrome where an acid is created by the decay of the ascetic base.  Fortunately we had converted this to VHS years before, but now I have been reminded that we have to digitize even that medium.  VHS gets brittle and fades, to say nothing of the fact that we have only one VHS reader in the house and it is part of a TV set.

The movie tape acid was so strong that we had to wrap it in a plastic garbage and take it out to the garage garbage bin.  Even today I can detect the smell in the garbage!

Now when son comes down to visit, I am going to take him to the closet for a sniff test.

22 comments:

  1. Incredible really. Can you imagine a locker with thousands of those in news facilities? They must digitize them before the decay begins. Something so simple and so terrible at the same time.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well hidden smell. Surprised you ever found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea these would decay and produce a bad smell. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, I still have to make that leap. I hope I'm not too late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm glad that's all it was. I just saw the movie "Sarah's Key," which was based on a book and I've been haunted by it since. There was a smell and a mystery solved. I need the view and privacy. Also garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoo boy! We have a whole bunch of those 88 mm movie things, not to mention VHS tapes. Sigh... I don't even want to think about it. I'll wait until I smell something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. You should get paid for this new commercial for the nose blind people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminded me of when we were selling the Denver house a year ago. Of course, we cleaned it top to bottom and the realtor staged it to look "perfect." The house was under contract but not finalized when we began to smell an awful stench in the garage. Of course we thought immediately that a mouse had gotten in and died. We checked for any openings but couldn't find anything. Our son came and smelled and looked. We were desperate and the smell continued to seemingly grow worse. I finally put a deodorizing substance in the garage to try and at least mask the odor. I was hoping our buyer wouldn't back out of the deal. I told our realtor, but when we left the house to return to the mts, she said she couldn't smell anything. What? A few days later, Bob opened the hood of the van to check on something and there was a dead animal the size of a squirrel laying inside - obviously the source of the smell. I have a problem with strong odors, so I can sympathize with your search for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a new one on me! As for apartment living, i loved the condo, with no yard work, and a view into the common garden area. What i didn't enjoy was that it was in a college area and the loud parties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I noticed the same thing with music cassette tapes. We went to digitized music and I got rid of all the old tapes. that smell in that cupboard is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not to be able to smell a dead animal makes me wonder if that realtor has a problem. I don't have any old tapes, but if I did I think I'd get rid of them right away! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Digitize
    Before
    It dies

    ReplyDelete
  13. No 8mm but lots of VHS. Better get a move on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember once when we had some small critter die in between the basement and the first floor of the house, and we looked everywhere for it. It finally dissipated, but who knows if someone will ever find the little creature.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A new one on me. Better check the old tapes we have around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well who knew?!
    My parents are 82. When I travel to see my them, my mom is always asking if I smell anything since she claims that she can't smell anymore. And yes, I do smell things... like the drain in the bathroom sink. Next time, I'll take some drain cleaner.

    On another note, it was nice to share our vulnerabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Take him to the trash first and see if he smells something familiar first. Great detective work.
    No one here is of film and video persuasion, darn it. Perhaps my folks did too much drinking. Paul and I, and now George and I, do still work.

    Thank you so much for your kind words yesterday. No, I don't think you would have liked to have known me at 18. By 28 maybe...except for all the drugs I was doing. LOL I did make a big change in many women's lives by that age....they tell me this. I'm honored to be your blog friend now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like that curry comment. Once I rented an apartment. The previous tenant cooked curry everyday. The smell seeped into everything. When we came home, we had to open our windows.

    My book would suit readers interested in History and traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to know as I have a lot of VHS I haven't gotten around to transferring. Knew they "died" after a while but had forgotten how many years have gone by. Didn't realize they'd smell.

    ReplyDelete
  20. when we bought the country house it had a distinct odor from the previous owners. she put soap bars everywhere for the perfume I guess (and a scent I didn't care for, Irish Spring I think), then roach tablets everywhere to kill the roaches attracted by the soap. even after living here for several years, anytime we would be gone for 2 or three days, when we arrived back home, the odor was there to greet us. not as strong, but still there nonetheless no matter how ofter we opened the doors and windows to air it out. it wasn't until we had new ductwork put in for the central air that we finally got rid of the odor for good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I might have one in an old box of movie videos in the garage. Now I'm afraid to open that door!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with Anvilcloud -- digitize before its to late. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.