Thursday, July 23, 2015

How Many Lives Do You Have?

Writer's block or blogger's block is not something I panic about.  I know that I will write about something eventually because it is an addiction for me and I am not dependent on income from what I write.  I love how words combine on pages, make nice rhythms or sounds, and paint rudimentary pictures of what I want to express.  When virtual readers join in with remarks or comments, that is the icing on the cake.  Well, this block thing I had was finally broken by death.  Not my death, of course, nor the death of anyone close to me, thankfully,  just several incidents that made death more real than usual.  It got me thinking.


I have been close to dying (in a vague way) several times.  Once when I was about seven(?) I had the mumps.  I got very sick and remember my throat actually swelling shut.  It must not have completely closed because I remember telling my mother that I  couldn't breathe and I remember clearly how frightened I was.  We were poor and did not visit hospitals or doctors needlessly, but this did cause piling brothers and sisters into the car, rushing down the canyon to the nearest village and seeing a doctor who applied cold compresses, gave me some medicine and advice, and I thus I lived!

Another time that I came close to danger and perhaps death (I did say these were vague encounters) was when I was playing alone at about the age of 10 in a big field below the foothills. A man stopped his car on the country road near the field where I had been collecting rocks.  He opened the passenger door and ask me to come over.  I did.  He asked if I would like to go for a ride and as I was wondering why this man was asking this, he tossed some pieces of candy across the car seat beside him.  A major warning light went off in the back of  my head---good survival instincts---and I turned and ran like a gazelle back up the hill toward my house.

Once when I was eighteen and on a first date with a local boy we drove up the canyon to a popular tourist dance hall.  We had both consumed too much beer over the evening and not been able to dance it off before heading home.  While going down the canyon we skidded around a curve and did a complete 360 before coming to the edge of the steep side of the road and were lucky no one was coming either up or down the canyon at that time.  Both of us were suddenly sober realizing we were inches from death as we headed on home.  I never dated the boy again, as I guess we decided we were not the best for each other.

In my early twenties while living on an island in the South Pacific I got food poisoning.  It was a dreadful case and there were no really suitable doctors on this island.  I went for almost a week unable to down much more than a tablespoon of water every now and again.  On the sixth day I actually remember thinking that I wanted to die.  I was tired of this horrible intestinal battle and just wanted to "give up the ghost."  The seventh day I made the turn around as luck would  have it and survived!

In my thirties my husband and I visited a ski place in New Zealand.  We had gone up just for the day and not even planned to ski.  We just wanted to see the scenery and enjoy the lodge.  During mid-day a big snowstorm started to fall.  It was so lovely and heavy and steady that almost all of the skiers came in to wait it out as you needed windshield wipers on goggles if you were heading down on skies.  In the late afternoon we boarded the bus to take us back down to the parking lot at the bottom of the mountain.  I  will never forget that trip as the bus fishtailed from side to side either threatening to dash us against a rock interface or throw us down the side of the mountain.  Even hubby who is pretty carefree said he was going to get off the bus and walk down several times getting louder each time.  We made it without serious incident, but it was really pure luck.

I have had other scares such as getting the early stage of the bends when SCUBA diving, getting caught on a rushing muddy trail during a torrential downpour in a tropical rain forest, being stuck on the canvas of a trimaran in an electrical storm while pregnant, etc. but none of these brought me close to death...injury perhaps..but not death.  All of the above were nothing like being caught in a war or riot or plague outbreak and many were the result of carelessness.  But they affected me enough to remember them clearly.

Please feel free to share in a comment below or link to a more lengthy blog post telling my why you are lucky to still be here!

18 comments:

  1. Lets see...if in a stretch 3. Caught in an undertow at 10, really bad flu in my 20's, 8 drunks in a corvette driving 85 on a country road in college.

    4 if you count my second marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brushes with death have been either during or because of pregnancy, or in times of serious depression, and the time we just didn't have money or much food in the house and i became emaciated and ill and close to starvation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was standing on a corner in Chartre, France and took cover to get out of a rainstorm. A sinkhole opened up on the spot where I was standing. It was so deep I couldn't see the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bad driving experiences, the other driver was sent to prison for his actions. One of my passengers was more badly injured than I was but we could all have easily been killed. The only other time I think I came close was entirely my fault. I'd busted my knee and in a lot of pain, so I took a couple of painkillers a girlfriend offered me to help me sleep. Had an allergic reaction and the knee was the least of my problems. Sorry to hear one of your close shaves was in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surfing the cracking, undulating sidewalk in the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989, Hitting an 8-point buck while driving on a very busy and windy California highway-thankfully in a late model Volvo with none of my kids in it and jumping out of a moving vehicle as a dumb, hitchhiking 19 year old...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bad driving experience, ending up with broken bits of body. Motorbikes usually don't come off best against cars when the latter pull out of side roads! Waking up during an operation and hearing the surgeon saying to the anaesthetist - "You might like to give him a bit more". Waking up in Intensive Care days after another operation to find the family gathered... Too soon folk! I'm sure there have been more but that's enough for now.
    (Joe - in my case it was my first marriage I was lucky to survive.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have certainly had your share of close calls. Does it make you wonder if you are fulfilling your reason for survival? I too have had many, many brushes with death. The ones that jump out the most are 1.) I was a hostage in a bank robbery with a gun pressed to my head the whole time. 2.) I actually died for 30 seconds during the placement of a heart stent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry
    did not edit
    tried to delete
    will try again:)


    Oh my
    your sharing
    has my mind whirling

    A lot of thoughts

    Your writing is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you certainly have had a lot of close calls. I can only recall three incidents in my own life. Back in the 80's after a night of drinking and probably a few social drugs...... I went to bed and slept for 3 days. (had an ethereal dream that I was floating up to heaven. Maybe I really was) Two other times, near misses in a car crash and I know for a fact that my guides or guardian angels saved me......... because something or someone pushed my gas pedal to make my car speed up going around a corner and it was not me. As soon as I rounded the corner I heard the crash. (the car that was behind me and another car coming in our direction) I did not see it happening either. That incident happened last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderfully adventuresome life you have had. I'm honored to know you. G watched India Attack Pakistan from the roof of their house. I grew up in an alcoholic household, so life was based on their alcohol consumption. I learned to make a proper martini early on. At 16, my appendix burst but no one believed my tail of being so very ill. As I was coming home from the hospital, I had one of those out of body experiences. Life after that was Army ritual, rock and roll in Hollywood, and political action for a while. That was a life or death experience as was helping found the Peace and Freedom party here. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness. I'm amazed you're here at all.
    I can think of some monumentally stupid decisions on my part that could easily have led to something awful. Like the time I hitched a ride -by myself- with two Marines in a Corvette. Or when I went for a ride with a complete stranger who'd been hanging around our dorm. And on and on.
    Thank god I married at 20 and was saved from any more stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One takes their life in their hands every time they drive some of the bad roads of PA that are constantly under some kind of repair or construction.. So I guess my answer is, " everytime I put the key into the ignition".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost dying of measles at age five. Being hit a few years ago by a huge sneaker wave and almost drowned.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Talk about having nine lives, Tabor, geez! I wonder how many of us have had near-miss car wrecks? A lot I bet. I know that I have. But I've never had an invitation by a candy-tossing stranger, which is the most riveting of all of your scenarios. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've had many incidents. I've had a few, and I have blogged about them somewhere at sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wish I had time to think now- but may yet return next week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh! You have had way too many close calls. That's scary. Thank goodness you survived them unscathed.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.