Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Time for Savory

Each weathercast directed our way indicates that a cold freeze is coming.  Each night the temps drop into the low 30sF and each morning things look chilled, but there is no 'frost on the pumpkin' yet.  Of course the only pumpkin that I have is inside on the table.  I purchased the one below because it has such lovely colors and textures.


But we know that Jack is coming and soon behind him his colder friend Hard.   Thus we headed outside with harvest baskets in hand to do some last minute collection in the garden.


The dramatic swings in temperature are causing these zavory peppers to crack.  They are not hot but have just bite of heat.  They also have a bit of fruity essence when dried and smoked and used in soups, on salads, and in marinades.



We have a small smoker that is very old but loyal.   Outside on the back patio is the sweet smell of wood smoke.


I spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon pealing these cloves of garlic.  I washed them, steamed them in the microwave for a little over a minute to make them easier to peal.  Then they go into jars of olive oil and into the fridge and the rest of the ivory orbs go into ziplocks with a bit of olive oil and into the freezer.  We are sometimes to humid to let them hang dried all winter, but I do have a half dozen left for fresh cooking.


When all  is done I take some time to practice a bit of photography still life.   Yes, this is quick setup and should have had a nicer background and base, but the sun's lighting through the window caught my eye and that sun moves fast.  Those tiny limes were immature kaffir limes I had to harvest before a bit of pruning to bring the tree inside for winter.


Soon it is dinner time and this snapper filet will be baked in a savory garlic, curry, basil, smoked zavory pepper flakes sauce with fresh cloves of garlic and bits of kaffir lime.  Very savory!

26 comments:

  1. You've made me hungry for fresh peppers in a salad! Beautiful produce, my black thumb salutes you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good for eating and photographs. We brought some of our produce down here to use. This year we used a fruit dryer for apples and tomatoes. It's better for me than the smoker as I am very sensitive to woodsmoke-- allergy-wise.

    Oregon got its first hard freeze after we left. It was unusually late this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos and a very interesting recipe. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Savory selections; fabulous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got out to clean up my garden beds just in time--just pulling annuals that were killed by frost over the past weeks, no harvesting for quite some time now. Anyway, we have an overlay of snow now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the honesty of your still life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you life and eye are lovely!




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my that looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our harvests are far behind us too, except we still have beets and carrots in the ground, which is temporarily frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post has made my mouth water.
    Delicious stuff; I didn’t know you can grow such wonderful things where you live. I have a lemon tree which comes in to the warm but I seem to have pruned back all the flowering branches this year to rejuvenate it. Ah well, next year.

    I’ll have a bit of the fish, please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We did our last picking over a week ago and it was just in time. Winter seems to be coming early.

    ReplyDelete
  12. now I'm wanting some of that garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks good
    and nothing here to harvest but
    my turnip greens :
    The fish looks so good..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so Southern California. I admit that I have great trouble thinking of bringing our small greeneries inside. I can see you shaking your head about this.

    Please come back to the you inspired entry and read the notes. Yes, I thought about that entry....I'd actually been thinking of the disparity of 532 page hits vs the actual number of visitors for a while. Have a warm day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. RYN: I don't see anything from Rain tho I'd like to. ??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well if it tastes anything near as good as it looks, it will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dish at the end made me forget what you were saying at the beginning. :) It looks so delicious!

    But, I scrolled back and appreciated your gardening and photography skills, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I should learn how to photograph food. I am not very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like my comment went astray.
    I wish I could grow garlic here in Hawaii, but it does not thrive, and I don't know why. So we're stuck with garlic from China or California. If I could grow it, I'd look for different varieties, because there is quite a range of flavors, just as there is with peppers.
    Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You inspired me to make a ratatouille with plenty of garlic today. ;0

    ReplyDelete
  21. Still picking cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and squash here in N Cali. It will end soon as the nights get colder. Grass in the hills is really growing...as we have had rain with warm (60's) days.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, you just proved that food is art.

    ReplyDelete
  23. RYN: I didn't even know you were a librarian. What a wonderful thing to be. Me...if my brain can't wrap itself around the book, I don't read it. As I get older, I read smaller and shallower books. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Every bit of that looks delicious! My neighbors grow lots of peppers. All different kinds. That makes all their home canning extra special. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Every bit of that looks delicious! My neighbors grow lots of peppers. All different kinds. That makes all their home canning extra special. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.