Monday, April 21, 2014

Not Really Alone

I wrote that I was alone on Easter, but that was not exactly true.  I had a yardman and his younger brother working on our vast front and back yard.  Here in the photos below, they were moving some very heavy logs.  This man, whom I will call Oscar, has two daughters that are teenagers. They live in Mexico along with the rest of his family and from March until the end of November he lives in our country and works as a supervisor for a landscape company and also brings along a few of his many brothers back with him on work permits.  He and my husband have become friends and so many Sundays he comes and helps us.  Think about living away from those you love for nine months each year so that they can have money to go to college and eat and maintain a nice home!


Below is his youngest brother...sweet and so totally bored with all through his life's view.  He see's this world through those young and complaisant eyes and his life may be somewhat different in this river of the ever-changing.

Oscar is a little stocky in the photo above but by the end of summer he will be lean and mean once again.  He reminds me a little of my dad who was often outside in dusty jeans.

Oscar is a multi-talented person.  He can do construction, is a skilled mason, and can fix almost any small and large engine.  He is honest and pleasant, and yes, we love him.  Totally he could be our son!  We pay him well, I feed him lunch and I tell him when I will be gone on the weekends if I need him, because I have no fear that he or his brothers would ever do anything nefarious to our house.

Only a few people can carry the title "salt of the earth."  It is a most prestigious title in my life book and Oscar definitely wins that award.  I feel lucky to know him.


18 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice to have someone so trustworthy (and helpful!) in your life? Our blessings are many. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to have an employee that you care about so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post and perhaps enlightening to a few folks.
    I am not so fortunate as to have an "Oscar" in my life that I can count on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words about Oscar are my easter. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to have some folks that you TRUST to do some work for you--and take care of things as needed... We all need those kinds of people in our lives --and these days, finding someone you trust is not always easy.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. A "renews my faith in humanity" story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice people have nice friends, I find. Oscar no doubt appreciates you guys as much as you appreciate him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice people have nice friends, I find. Oscar no doubt appreciates you guys as much as you appreciate him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are fortunate to have Oscar and company in your life. I just hired a young man to do some tree work for me--kind of a new experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could not help but giggle a little when you said he "Totally could be our son" if that were the case, you would be out there working with/for him. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a blessing to have him in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some people must work hard and also sacrifice in other ways. Good for him for paying the price, and good for you for treating him well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to have relationships like that in your life. We feel the same way about the father/son team that rebuilt our house. The father passed away shortly after our house was finished and we became very close friends with the son. He and my husband seem more like brothers now. And salt of the earth is exactly how we would describe him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like a good person to have around...and a good friend....when away from loved ones, definitely an asset...

    ReplyDelete
  15. We could not maintain our homes and standard of living without Mexicans, so why pretend otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is quite a blessing to have Oscar in your life; someone who is inherently good. If "we" can be a caring, productive "Oscar" and have many "Oscars" in our lives, we are very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I am twenty pounds lighter and kept it off while we were gone. George doubled up on some things and got teased a lot. I'm still awfully round...

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.