Wednesday, February 05, 2014

A Bit of Paradise

We are fortunate enough to have friends that live in a small portion of the state of Florida that is still pristine.  Well, sort of...


We stayed at the former home of  Captain J.J. Dickison, "Swamp Fox," and confederate soldier during the war between the States. Go to this link for more info:  "Although he served as a captain for most of the war, he often commanded battalion sized groups of men and proved a formidable foe to Union forces in East and Central Florida.  Dickison and his men captured soldiers, officers, steamboats and even a Union general during the war.  Although he was promoted to colonel at the end of the conflict, he did not learn of the promotion until after he had been paroled by Union forces."

This is a private guest house and will be released to the U.S. Navy in the decade ahead as the owners have sold the amazing spring nearby to the Navy that has been doing sonar testing for many years.  I will post on my other blog photos of a canoe trip as we started at the head waters of this lovely spring one afternoon.  This land has been in the family for at least two generations.  


The interior of the guest house, which appears rustic from the outside, is filled with many memories of the owners' trips and adventures during their lives and those of their parents.  I felt as if I was staying at my great grandma's house, with newer appliances and wireless access!  The house was so solidly built with sappy pine that after all these years the floors do NOT creak.


This modern artwork above the fireplace is a "finger painting" from their young grandson!

This location provided a quiet step back in time when we stayed there.  At the end of our visit, Hubby was off on a week-long canoe camping trip in the Everglades with the owner and I stayed on a few days longer with his wife, a good friend.  During the days when I walked between the guest house and the main home after breakfast I was able to observe about 30 wild turkeys walking across the yard and patio, a blue heron walking the edge of the spring, and on another visit a bobcat sauntering down the edge of the woods.  It is paradise.  

I do want to mention that I was sure I had heard an alligator's hollow growl outside my window one evening as I snuggled into bed.  It was their mating season!  Just realize that alligators, for the most part, are more frightened of humans than we are of them, unless you are an idiot and feed them!


I hate the thought that this bit of paradise will be turned over to the Federal Government, because they will not see the romance and nature in the place and will run it based on uneven annual appropriations. 


17 comments:

  1. Looks like a little corner of heaven. Sad it can't remain as it is. Glad you got to spend time there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Florida trip had it's perks, I see.

    A kid did that artwork! I like it.

    As for the land, the way you've described it - it does seem a shame that it will be changing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fed needs to only have it as a national park, and leave it as is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the kind of Florida I would like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous place --and one of the FEW places like that left in Florida I'm sure. Too bad it's going to the Federal Govt.... SAD!!!!

    Sounds like you are having (or had) a wonderful visit there.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in Sebring, Fl mostly lakes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Its a shame that the family feel they must sell. The reasons must be good tho.

    What a charming place to vacation. Yes, I am anticipating even tho G has us on one of the giant box boats, we will be going to Columbia, Aruba, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Mexico then to LA. I just hope the food works for me. I was allergic to something on the Oosterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never realized that Florida would have been involved in the civil war.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an opportunity for you to enjoy this lovely spot before it's handed over. Very cool pic of the gator!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a great pity that those in power only ever see the bottom line.

    You seem to have had a wonderful trip, lucky you.
    I think an alligator outside my window would have worried me just a bit.

    Would you explain the US definition of ‘funk’? Here it means cowardice, avoiding something out of fear. I am sure that’s not what you meant in your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a great place the Government will surely mess up...
    It would be better off given to the Seminole Tribe-

    ReplyDelete
  12. We would have greatly enjoyed such a place. How do you always find neat locations?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, love the grandchild's finger painting. What a grand idea.

    Alligators - scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it all, Tabor, including the alligator. At this end of winter, a stay in Florida sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds you had a great time in Florida. My husband, my daughter and son had visited Florida and loved so much the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've enjoyed reading your resume of being in Florida - I have cousins who are snowbirds from Canada and I enjoy hearing their exploits in the good weather while we shiver and shake in Scotland. One advantage of the weather on your visit was the quiet..... Blessings from Dalamory
    www.frda.org.uk

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.