I think the reason I like these shows is that:
- All ages are represented and not just in token small roles. Ruggedly handsome includes gray hair and a paunch sometimes.
- All ages are not usually stereotyped but presented as interesting faceted characters
- People look real with wrinkles, weight issues, and non-model proportioned faces. (NO Barbies)
- If someone has an idiosyncrasy that they were born with, it fits gently into the role they play (right now I am thinking of Chummy Browne in "Call the Midwife.")
- They can be edgy but still keep some sense of decorum and humanity.