Friday, December 21, 2012

Godlessness Be Damned

As we get closer to a God-filled holiday, I am surprised, although I certainly should not be, at how many God-less situations are being pointed out to me by God-filled experts. The most recent being a justification for tragedies in schools and universities because they are God-less bastions of compromising lifestyles and philosophies, and the next at the funerals of some of the school victims where church-goers were protesting their Godlessness.


As my readers know I am not a religious person. I am not an agnostic or an atheist either. I am someone on a journey always looking for God-fullness and answers in religious and non-religious events alike.  I do not see God in my likeness but as a magnificent power or energy inside all living things, yet I do not see myself as a pantheist. I would never have the hubris to point out places where God does not exist.   But I am bold enough to say that I think God is goodness and God is everywhere.  God is the quiet and tiny.   God is sometimes the bold and loud. God is ALWAYS EVERYWHERE and we abandon God, God does not abandon us.  I do not think God is an evangelist demanding loyalty and creating punishment for those who stray.  We create our own punishment.  God is the softest act you will ever know seducing you into loyalty.  He is like the poet's (Autry) son who in his autistic struggle in this world caught not one but dozens of butterflies and hummingbirds in his child-hands in slow wonderment, named them and then set them free in love.

I see IT/God in the face of a child whose life was shortened by violence. I see IT in the eye of the whale. I see IT in the dance of youth at a party. I see IT in the hands of a nurse removing blood streaked gloves. I see IT in the bent and gnarled body of an old woman crossing the street. I see IT in all the music that man has created and invented. I see this power for goodness in the poetry I read. I see it in all the colored lights we string and all the candles we light when man celebrates any God-filled holiday anywhere in the world.  For that brief moment we concentrate outside ourselves.   I also see God in the anger and discouragement of mankind.  IT is hidden inside behind the fire waiting to be seen. 

I see IT when we sigh and forgive ourselves for our mistakes each year and promise ourselves a better year.  There sits God deep inside our soul waiting for us to recognize IT and not give up hope.

15 comments:

  1. Very well said. Sadness being in those who would make an argument of your profound words and wisdom. Nothing there to argue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN.

    I am a believer, but I don't feel the need to shout it or post on Facebook about it every hour, as some do. God IS everywhere and He never leaves us.

    I maintain that if God was present in the home; through teaching and example, we wouldn't need to insert God into our schools. The people who proclaim that since we took God out of our schools they have become breeding grounds for violence ought to look back to their childhoods and those of their children, and see where they went wrong. God is everywhere - we just need to recognize Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was little I was told God was everywhere so I scooted over to always make room for Him. My God doesn’t cause the tragedies. My God is the comfort during and after the horror. My God is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well articulated and I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree tho now I call God my Higher Power some of the time. Hope you are surviving the terrible treatment. Hugs from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks this, I am saving it. God is everywhere whether we see or not. God is there whether we suffer a broken leg or the actions of a broken mind. I wish you a peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you've expressed yourself in this post. I hold similar views. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know
    God is always with me.
    May be because no one else
    is here
    most of the time.
    Love you, Tabor
    and get Well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well said. I have been wondering why some vocal Christians act like the the New Testatment was never written with all the going on about an Old Testament vengeful God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i finally had enough of a particular family member making posts about how god abandoned the schools because the schools kicked him out and that's why the shooting happened. i finally responded saying....god was still there...in the brave acts and in the hands and hearts of the teachers and staff who did everything they could to protect and comfort the children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a Christian, and have been since I was a teenager. God doesn't cause tragedies, man does. God is everywhere but many choose to ignore him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes...let us not forget hope!!
    Beautifully written post
    Hugs
    Merry Christmas
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes I wish I could believe as much in something even if it isn't named... but, the closest I can come is to believe there's definitely something bigger than I am. That IT cares is beyond my ability to grasp.

    Hope you're feeling better by now. I think I'd rather have the infection than the side effects! I'm allergic to most manufactured medications and have to rely on alternative medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A co-worker recently stated, God waits for us to choose to believe in him.
    I think he's everywhere too.

    If only people stopped proving how bad they can be.
    Horrible stuff in CT makes me ill-

    ReplyDelete
  15. Came here to read your blog after your visit to mine. Hilary's POTW brought us together. I wanted you to know how I have enjoyed reading your thoughts and views. I'll be back to read and enjoy you One Day at a Time. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.