Monday, July 18, 2011

Dining Out Loud

I may have written about this a long time ago, but I am thinking not.  When my daughter was an only child (for about 2.5 years) we did a bit of around the world (well, half-way around the world) traveling.  Actually I flew alone across the Pacific Ocean and into the mid-west when she was only 8 months old and not yet born...are you following that?  The stewardesses blanched and almost did not let me on the flight.  Today, a future mother would probably need a doctor's statement for a flight of 15 hours not including the 2-hour layover in Hawaii.

Later, we were flying the other direction and she was 20 months old at that time.  Cuter than a bug's ear and quite the chatterbox at such an early age...clearly our little genius.  We landed in Guam around 8:30 in the evening and were starving.  The only restaurants open at that hour near our hotel were the few fancier ones and the only people eating at that hour were adults.  We were tremendously jet-lagged but not too tired to wolf down anything on the menu.  My daughter was so glad to be out of a plane seat that getting her into a high hair at the table required some persuasion until she smelled food and became amenable.  We tried to be as quiet and unobtrusive as possible because it looked like everyone was on their important evening away from the kids for a Saturday date night.  I think that was the quietest restaurant I ever ate in...although it could have just been my self-consciousness making me think we were the loudest party there.

Once our meal was finished and we were waiting for our bill, my daughter discovered that her spoon when banged on her plate made the most lovely clang.  Like a silver bullet each clang shot across the restaurant into the quiet conversations of the well dressed diners.  I grabbed the spoon from her hand and turned to put it out of her reach.  She immediately got her father's fork and continued with the tempi movement of her symphony.  Hubby raised his hand higher and with no grace indicated we needed the check as he removed the second utensil from her chubby fingers.  Not to be prevented from showing her amazing musical talents, she began the rhythm portion of her performance by clanging together the metal salt and pepper shakers with glee.  I could not believe that she had only two hands and two arms...but they moved with the lighting speed of a frogs tongue in meeting their goal.  I could not bring my eyes to meet the adults at the other tables,  some chuckling quietly and others groaning, and lifted her out of the high chair and through the door to the peace of the lobby while hubby waited for our bill.

It wasn't her fault nor was it the diner's fault for the clash in atmospheric expectations.  Had we had a better choice in time and place, we would not have brought her there.  I am sure when the customers made their reservations, they did not clarify that they did not want to be seated near any musical genius toddlers.

This whole experience came to my mind when I recently heard in the news about a restaurant in Pittsburgh that is no longer allowing children under six to eat there due to complaints from customers about the behavior of some of the children.  This is an upscale golf resort restaurant.  I thought about this ruling and while there were many that think children should be allowed to eat wherever and whenever and that this was discriminating, I really felt that a restaurant has the right to establish the type of mood and food they want to create.  I certainly do not want to sit next to a chaotic family if I was going out to eat in a nice restaurant for a special evening out.  That might be the kind of thing I would have every reason of expecting at the local diner or fast-food place.  ( I am guessing if that rule was in place on our memorable night, the restaurant would have taken pity on us and provided at least take-out.)

Your turn for input, agree or disagree?

15 comments:

  1. Even though I have unending patience and understanding for children being in the world, I can say that if I were escaping for a nice dinner, a no kids rule would work for me. Just like I don't want to listen to someone talking on their cell phone while I'm out to dinner.

    I so remember having to do laps with our kids trying to fit in a dinner out. Usually at Pizza Hut or some other fancy venue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind children who are table trained, but wild and out of control kids really are a bother. My husband has been known to abandon his daughter and her four kids in a Burger King to go eat out in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your description of your daughter's symphony is so funny.

    If I'm in a nice restaurant, I expect to not be bothered with kids or cell phones or smoking. People used to have respect for each other and we didn't have to make up rules because we just knew what is appropriate for particular places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry second try...I think a no kids venue is okay. I have a large tolerance for kids big and small but I'm sorry to say I think some parents have brought it on themselves by ignoring rude and disruptive behavior and not providing something, a book, small (toys), and discipline for the older of the small fry. There are lots of places to take kids these days although I wonder if the loud, cacophonius, anything goes atmosphere of say Chucky Cheese doesn't contribute to the behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is justified for an upscale restaurant to put in a restriction like that. While I do understand the predicament of young parents, as you said, it is the right of the restaurant to establish the mood they want to create. If this is discrimination, it is discrimination on account of age. Well, even government discriminates based on age, so why shouldn't a restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love children but with my migraines I can rarely tolerate that screeching that may ensue when you are around them.

    So, yes. I would dine in an establishment with that rule if I needed a quiet evening.

    No, you have not shared this story before, but MORE please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being able to dine out in peace and quiet is reasonable I think. Not rude at all!! Kids may be the center of the parents universe but they are not the center of my universe. Ha!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. The favorite way to dine out when you are a parent of small children is to hire a babysitter and go to a restaurant that does not allow children so you can have a peaceful date with your spouse. There needs to be a relaxing retreat away from noisy tots for everyone once in a while. When asked "How do you like children?" W.C. Fields replied, "Barbequed".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with all. I think if one pays a good price for a meal one can expect it to be peaceful. I think parents should do what you did -- remove a noisy kid to some other place out of earshot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely of the no-kids-rule persuasion in the fancier type of restaurant. If we happen to go (by accident) to a restaurant which serves kids, we sit as far away from the family as we can.

    Continental (European) children are, on the whole, well-behaved. British kids are a nightmare in my experience.

    Like you say, in burger bars or pizza places kids must be expected; except, of course, that sort of additive laden food makes the poorly behaved kids even more frantic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE children but I see nothing wrong with a no-kids dining venue; very small children can't always be expected to behave well. (Nor can their parents.) I'm sure the groaning diners in your story were only too happy to have you remove your toddler and it was gracious of you to do so. I like the idea of a fancy place providing takeout for just such emergencies as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We agree. You can take a full-of-energy-kid to Denny's or another local place. Unless they know fine dining manners, I don't want to eat with them. We rain into just that situation last weekend. I thought George would turn purple.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At a larger place there could be a separate section for families which I've seen. Eating later usually is quieter.

    I think privately owned places should be able to post there own policy- n as you say, provide take-out orders.
    but regular places would lose business here as a tourist destination by excluding children, so they don't try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess I'm the only one who disagrees here. Of all the disruptions, children bother me the least. Those who get a bit out of hand as your own wee one did, are usually scooped up for a quiet reprimand and peace is restored. It's not usually the child that needs to behave.. it's the parents who don't care enough about the other diners who are disruptive. Thankfully, they're rare.

    I'd much prefer a "no cell phone" policy. That disruption is not so rare.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.