Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Too Much of a Good Thing

If you look closely you will see two trees (actually two sprouts from an older cherry tree that is growing straight up right next to these two widow-makers) that are going to fall anytime soon across the path to the dock. The last tree fell without a wind, heavy rain or anything else that would give one pause.


This is the wood from the most recent tree which we have put at the back of the wood pile to dry.

This is the first tree (another cherry) that fell that we still have to move to the wood pile!

This is the pile of old logs (perhaps you remember from my "build that house blog") that my husband asked the builder to leave so that he could use them for firewood. Yeah, right! Here they sit sheltering snakes and creating food for termites. He did say he would split the wood this year...we will see. The orange tarp to the back shelters a LOT of wood that has been split and cut for the fireplace. Enough to keep us warm for this winter and perhaps next!

6 comments:

  1. We had wood like that in piles shortly after we moved here in 1982, and guess where those piles are now?

    Moldering and mostly gone the way of termites!! I hope your guy will split and stack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had one of those piles here. With the price of energy I think my fireplace is going to get a lot of use this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the old Indian chief always says you can tell how cold the winter is going to be by the size of the white man's woodpile.
    Looks like you're going to have a FRIGID winter.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  4. a huge branch fell in my neighbor's yard the other day, he looked at me and said, "{You have a fire place, you get rid of it"!!! I just laughed and laughed....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It hurts my back just looking at those photos! That wood can warm you up twice. Once while you cut it and stack/move it and the second time while you burn it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lots of work still ahead. wish you could get someone to come do some of the work for free wood! there was a "penny pincher" local ad publication in georgia at one time. advertising in something like that might find some takers!

    lipstick/mascara to go to the PO - girl, you are prissy!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.