Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thursday Thirteen-Illustrious Genius.




CNN was interviewing a half-dozen Democratic voters (in Youngstown, Ohio) who in frustration with the system had voted for Trump. They gathered them together after a year and they were all pleased with the current administration and would vote for him again.   They liked him because they 'felt' the economy was getting better:

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Industries are booming everywhere I've seen.

SAVIDGE: I look around here and I don't see a boom. 

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Well, in this area, no, but I feel like there's small businesses that are starting to pick up.  

When asked about what he says and his tweeting the female responded:

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: He's like tenacious sometimes and says stuff off the cuff, like we do. Like real Americans do. We're not perfect. I'm tired of suave, I'm tired of polished, I'm tired of the teleprompter. I am, I want my country back.

So, I decided to revisit some of what our President has said to be more reassured.
  1. "Part of the beauty of me is that I am very rich. I was always the best at what I did, I was the -- I was, you know, I went to the -- I went to the Wharton School of Finance, did well."
  2. "I created maybe the greatest brand."
  3. "Just -- and so -- so I was successful, successful, successful."
  4. "I was always the best athlete, people don't know that."
  5. "And then people say oh, is he a smart person? I'm smarter than all of them put together, but they can't admit it."
  6. "I've been, you know, pretty successful in the courts over the years, I've been a very successful person, you can check."
  7. "No, I'm not a racist. I'm the least racist person you will ever interview."
  8. "I'm a person that wants to tell the truth. I'm an honest person, and what I'm saying, you know is exactly right."
  9. "All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me - consciously or unconsciously. That's to be expected."
  10. "Sorry losers and haters, but my I.Q. is one of the highest -and you all know it! Please don't feel so stupid or insecure, it's not your fault."
  11. "I think the only difference between me and the other candidates is that I'm more honest and my women are more beautiful."
  12. "I think I can't do much better, right?"
  13. "Now, you know, I was a good student. I always hear about the elite. You know, the elite. They're elite? I went to better schools than they did. I was a better student than they were. I live in a bigger, more beautiful apartment, and I live in the White House, too, which is really great."
Now are you totally assured, people?  (No one at Wharton can remember this blusterous personality who had transferred from Fordham and he failed to get his photo in the yearbook and the university did not write a pro-Trump  letter when he was a candidate as other ivy leagues have done, even though the Trumps have donated almost a million to Penn State.)  And yes, I could have listed so many more comments to reassure you about how he is so much better than I.  He talks just like the people I hang out with...hardly.)




28 comments:

  1. incredible to read those reactions of the Trump voters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those voters probably don't know the meaning of cognitive dissonance, but they sure are good examples

    ReplyDelete
  3. They believe what they believe even if we will never understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It astounds me that these people love him so much and I can barely stand to see his image. Which is everywhere, BTW. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I will ever understand this. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are parts of America under alien control or is it a scientific experiment to confuse alien life?

    #confusedincanada

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beyond comprehension how the American people can vote such a person to be president of USA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one reason my hope is not built on politics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess we just can't handle the "truth".

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is considered a buffoon round the world, number one cartoon to appear in our newspapers. Where does he get this OTT ego from?

    ReplyDelete
  11. just out of curiosity, I went looking for Obama big ego quotes. My guess was that by the time they get to that level, they all have them-- Obama did. Whether some are narcissists is another question, of course... and likely seen differently depending on someone's tribal alliance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Presidents put forth their accomplishments, both to reassure themselves and their voters and to insure their longevity. Obama may have bragged on accomplishments but not how smart he is and how many beautiful women want to screw him. It can be said it is tribal, but I think it is evaluative to their core personalities. If it is tribal than those around the globe who support despotic rulers love this President and those who love democracies in these countries find this man terrifying. I will stick with that much larger tribe.

      Delete
    2. This is just one from Obama. there were more. “I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters. I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m gonna think I’m a better political director than my political director.” I personally think it's funny and it is very much how humans operate that their guy (think Bill Clinton) is the good guy no matter what he does and vice versa. Yes, Trump is a braggart of a higher level than we've seen. I suspect though that most who rage over him are more upset by what he wants to do than whether he thinks he's hot stuff. Lefties and righties see this very differently and moderates, such as myself, are in amazement at both sides.

      Delete
    3. We by the way don't have a democracy as you well know. We vote for someone, like Obama, like part of what he'll do but not all but we have to settle. Then he does stuff we don't like so much but he didn't ask or get a vote. Obama's move toward globalism was one of those things for me. I knew I'd not like all Hillary would do but she'd be better on environment etc. and I always figured Trump's personality would be a problem for him. As for the other countries, I don't like all of their leaders either. They don't ask and we didn't here either. I don't really know how many people are terrified of what Trump will do-- but would guess they follow far left sites. I read the Guardian and it's not that extreme though it is left leaning and I don't see terror there-- just opinions on what is best to do.

      Delete
    4. Regarding what Obama said, his education as a Constitutional scholar gives him some creds on that statement. His speeches in graduate school and before the election are also proof that his words have credence. I did not give Bill Clinton a pass as his chauvinism was certainly a fault, and like Trump he has issues with being liked...but not to the extent that Trump does. of course. I am not active in either party, but I will always lean left as I believe in Unions, consumer protection boards, nationally funded scientific research, environmental protections, and a free press.

      Delete
    5. I agree although free press has to be fair and honest, not partisan and ignoring what doesn't suit their agenda. Unions have suffered under Democrats. Consumer protection boards can go too far, etc. And when the government covers scientific research, it should not pay for it to suit an agenda. I don't know how I'd vote for a Democrat now, and yet all my life I did. I also though don't like what the Republicans want to do. No winning for me now as there is no party out there representing my concerns... And some would say Trump has proven he's superior also by being rich. Obama disappointed me a lot by the time he was finished and that said, we donated the maximum to his campaigns-- twice. Some of what Obama has done seems sneaky to me. I know-- heresy lol

      Delete
    6. And Clinton was a liar, rapist and sexual abuser-- way beyond chauvinism... He also may have been involved in pay for play-- again not something most should defend.

      Delete
    7. I have been somewhat closely involved with nationally funded scientific research. It is political as most universities are, but does not have an agenda that I could see. I do see the companies that fund research have an agenda...either to sell thier pharmaceutical products or promote their labs profile.

      Delete
    8. Universities can have an agenda but doubtless not all. One college prof had a hard time in one university (can't remember which she said) because she didn't believe in global warming caused by man. It was unacceptable to her colleagues and she couldn't get grant money to do the research. I am sure it's no different than when science fought Galileo. It's basically human nature to want to prove what someone wants to believe or what is popular. A lot of university studies today are funded by corporations-- again with their agenda, whatever that is. Grants are how a professor stays or goes.

      Delete
    9. Apologies for sparking a small controversy. I cannot go back on what I said but his presence here in the UK would be very uncomfortable, people would protest and the forthcoming royal wedding, which he really doesn't have to attend anyway would focus on him and the subsequent furore. That sounds petty, but his general attitude and of course his policies to the environment, etc are the red rag to the bull. Not forgetting of course as far as humour is concerned, British ice cold irony takes a lot of beating;) My tribal affiliations are left of centre but it could be because of my reading. Fascinated by the thought of tribalism in Western cultures.

      Delete
    10. This is a minor controversy for sure given how it's been in our country. I don't blame other countries for wanting to protect their borders and prefer some leaders not come there. Makes sense to me. I don't see how he'd have ever been invited to the wedding and given the security required, I suspect, it'll be better of the Obamas are not either. That will though go to the crown to figure out as not sure the couple, stubborn as Harry an be, will be able to override what is decided is safest and best.

      Delete
  12. there are those who will embrace Trump no matter what, no matter how many lies he tells, no matter how many women he has assaulted, no matter how much destruction his policies cause. but the stock market!!! yeah, great as long as you are rich enough to be able to buy stock and gamble with your money.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I me mine. UGH. What a selfish, self centered, and self seeing fool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Along with praying I win the lottery, I pray POTUS decreases using twitter by 99%. Both could make many people happy

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can fool some of the people all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have forgotten to mention something really important:
    “I am a modest person, I am more modest than you will ever know.”


    See? None of the above (your post) is bragging. Although we are scared of Trump we also ridicule him unmercifully. Make America great again? Turn Trump’s America into the world’s laughing-stock more like.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That saddest part is that, in this case, lying will get you everywhere. The line that stays with me most is when he said something like 'I could shoot someone on the street and still get votes.'

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stuff he says really distracts us from other stuff going on. Some folks really like him, then there are alot of polar opposites. I will not judge until his tenure is up.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.