Thursday, November 23, 2017

That Busy Time Before Thanksgiving

Return to my house on Sunday, I was greeted by this in my driveway.



It looks like a skinny trunk but that thing was at least 12 inches across at the base. I held my breath 
and drove on in and parked the car in the garage.


The pine tree had been dead for a year or two as can be seen by the fungus on the trunk. I later was concerned I could be trapped at home if the tree fell overnight in the winds and went out and moved the car to the end of the driveway to pick up hubby from the airport the next day.

Picked up hubby from the airport on that Monday. Busy holiday rush travel had already begun and I hated the traffic.

We were very busy the next day, but the day before Thanksgiving the tree made its demands by falling further.


Hubby got out the chainsaw and wedge and safety gear and I got out the camera.


We were able to get the heavy part tree fall away from the driveway.  Then we tied a rope to the base of the remaining snag and pulled and pulled and pulled across the driveway until it was all the way down and mostly unsnagged.


Rewarded with firewood for next year after it ages.  While pine is not the best, I do get our chimney cleaned annually for safety.



Nights have not yet been super cold, so only a few fires in the fireplace.

While others were preparing Thanksgiving desserts and side dishes, we were being "woodspersons."  Have a good day today whether you celebrate this holiday or not.

15 comments:

  1. Glad to see you got that big tree turned into firewood. You are accomplished woodspersons, for sure! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! And, happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do say wood is the heat that warms you twice. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Chopping Veggies and/or Trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of Thanksgiving chopping at your house. Lovely to have filled the firewood bank though. Happy Thanksgiving to you both and your famiily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Tahanksgiving, Tabor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky that the tree waited for someone to man the chainsaw! Alot of work n firewood! Nice fire!

    Hope yout Thanks day went well

    ReplyDelete
  9. he's home. the month went by quickly, at least for me. my neighbor has a dead pine tree in his front yard. it's the second one and if he does like ha did last time he will wait til it falls to take it down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a picture of the occasion. It was two friends, two caretakers, and Poolie with simply wonderful food. I'll never get thin again at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So enjoying this entry. I've been back to share the rural adventure with you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, you can't beat a log fire, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The woods on either side of your driveway looks so pretty.

    In our old suburban neighborhood I have been noticing more and more big pine trees turning brown and dying, spruce trees around here are also turning brown, becoming sparsely needled and finally dying. The big spruce tree in our front yard had started leaning toward our house three years ago. At first my husband was able to talk me out of concern by saying he couldn't tell it was leaning, then the following year he said it wasn't leaning that bad. this spring it was leaning even more. He could no longer deny it. Then I saw it swaying from the ground on up, it was sort of rocking back and forth in the wind, it never did that before. As soon as we could we had a tree service cut it down. It was hollow from the ground up to about 4 feet up the trunk with only about two inches of wood all around, and the roots were rotted and wet way down into a rotted out root hole beneath the tree. I know it would have fallen if we would have waited to cut it down any longer. I miss our spruce and the shade it made.

    I live in Missouri and have never seen this many pine and spruce trees dying off before. I wonder it our climate change is affecting them or if there is some sort of new to the area insect attacking them.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.