Friday, September 22, 2017

Architecture


Americans who go to Europe become enthralled with the timber-framed houses, ancient stone castles, and old brick architecture that claims the history of the country. But, while in Amsterdam, I became intrigued by the edgy more modern architecture. Perhaps it is because I live in the country and rarely see cities or have time to walk about when I visit them.

All of the pictures below were taken in Amsterdam...just Amsterdam.  There are some really dramatic modern buildings in other parts of Europe, but I did not get a chance to see those so I will share these.




Above is the ceiling as you enter the Van Gogh Museum which was remodeled just a few years ago.  (I personally feel they totally failed on the sound suppression as the high floors get the brunt of the noise below in the open areas!)




Below is another museum...I think it was a marine museum.







My favorite is to try and capture a library or two!  I wish I had had time to go inside.

Now for some more "edgy" buildings.



I think this above is a hotel?





Lots of buildings on stilts, maybe due to the fact that Amsterdam is below sea level.



Man seems to be getting smarter about environmental building, privacy in cities, affordability, and durability.  I wish I had time to study the history of each of these projects and what the people thought after they were built.

(PostScript to Granny... I just did not find the time to do the Wednesday challenge...I refuse to admit that the word list was a bit terrifying.)


12 comments:

  1. I have to think about those. I do like the suspended building over the old ones. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devastation from World War II provided the impetus for much modern European construction. Vast parts of London, Rotterdam and others needed rebuilding, and modernists started exploring new types of construction. The buildings in your pictures are quite interesting. Here in Portland a new way of building is actually quite old. We're construction large and tall buildings out of wood, compressed in ways to make them stronger than if theyd been built of steel and concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cities are fascinating places to explores, especially for a country person. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating buildings, and i wonder if Van Gogh would have approved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am envious of your trip. The architecture there is fascinating. As for the Words For Wednesday, email me if you want an early peek at next week's words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the buildings, so different from anything we see here in the Pacific Northwest, at least. Thank you for taking me along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like some modern architecture but these don't do a whole lot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I generally like modern architecture but those look cold for the design. I wonder how they'd do in a big quake or hurricane. Maybe better?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ceiling at the Van Gogh Museum is wonderful, too bad about the acoustics. Must be fabulous light in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Living where I do and not being able to travel for a long time, I have almost forgotten about architecture. More and more I am seeing a lot of our civilization as pre-ruins and wish things were not so built up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing architecture. I'm not fussed on the one on stilts overshadowing the historic buildings underneath

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.