Monday, July 24, 2017

Miscellaneous Fun Stuff

I could have spent longer in New York City because much of our time was programmed with little left for serendipity.  I did not even get a good street crowd scene when we were rushing to see "Wicked" and had to cut through the long lines of fans waiting in line to get their tickets for "Hello Dolly."  It seems that Bette Midler's understudy had been carrying the lead role while Midler was vacationing in Hawaii for two weeks. (Hawaii vs. New York City...wrap your mind around that for a bit.)  Anyway, she was obviously back because the street was so full even cars could not go by!



The Schubert Organization is one of the oldest theater companies in New York and has two corner theaters above on "Schubert Alley."  The brothers were very good businessmen and "by the mid-twenties, the Shuberts owned, operated, managed or booked over 1,000 houses across the United States."  I think their successful history might make a good musical.  One of the brothers had his home and offices in that top floor above.




Notice all the gum in the photo above!!

As a lover of books, I was happy to see that our first hotel had a small library in the lobby.  My granddaughter, who is not really an avid reader, checked it out.  We were staying at The New Yorker which has an Art Deco style.  As some of my readers know I love the Art Deco with its curves and homage to nature.





Above was taken from our hotel room window.  Just a hint of the architecture.

I also stumbled across the New York City Public Library and had to check it out.  New York City has reduced the crime and homelessness substantially in Mid-Town and I was glad to find the library much like any other city library.



I keep hoping by exposing her to books that she will want to read more!

We changed hotels the last two days to use some points for another brand hotel and ate breakfast in their "Bistro" which also had shelves of books above our heads.  Notice anything unusual?



Any good book person would have caught it before even getting that early cup of caffeine.  It annoyed my anal-retentive personality to no end.  One of the books above is upside down!  As a friend pointed out, they could also have used some book stops to keep the books from leaning.

It was a rich trip.








22 comments:

  1. Has your granddaughter read the Harry Potter books? I think they're beloved even by some of the most book-resistant children. Long after my children could read on their own, I continued to read to them. We went through The Chronicles of Narnia twice. Wicked is a great show. I saw it in Chicago long ago. I hope you enjoyed it. I'd love to see Bette Midler do anything. She could simply stand on the stage.

    Love,
    Janie Junebug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her older brother has read most of them and he is just 12. I think her parents have sort of giving up on reading to her, so now since we watched the edgy version of Anne of Green Gables, I am wondering if i can bribe her in some way to read the first book?

      Delete
  2. I check out libraries any time I get a chance. One of the great treasures in this world! Theatre in New York is another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful experience for your grandchildren. Ideal for "hams" which I confess to being in my younger years -- the feelings still linger. Enjoying your photos, accounts of the trip. I've always enjoyed visiting book stores and used book stores wherever I visited, but there are fewer of them now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a fun time, and i also can hardly pass a library without wanting to stop in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post reminds me that it's been too long since I've been to New York. So much there to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New York, New York, it is a wonderful town. I am odd and would take NY over Hawaii and am looking forward to visiting the Big Apple in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah ... kids and reading. My granddaughter was a very early reader. I don't know how she did it, actually. But she is not an avid reader. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been an avid reader since I was a kid, but it was comic books that got me started, not Anne of Green Gables, unfortunately. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. both my kids are avid readers as are myself and my husband. I've been to NY several times and just got back from Hawaii. I'll take Hawaii over NY anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice to see pictures of New York from different views.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am curious about the nights the understudy took Bette's place. I am not sure I would attend a performance without the big star. I feel guilty about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mw too. But we also have to realize that this is a chance for someone to shine and make a breakthrough.

      Delete
  12. Granddaughter - teacher lives in N.y., older daughter her mom they visit frequently and I have been invited. This one no desire but glad
    they share a lot with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to go to the main reading room of the main library when I was younger. They would let you walk up the small winding staircases to the balcony, where I would just sit and read and look out that the people there, listening to the slight coughs and the rattle of the book cart as they delivered or picked up. I miss that simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoy being a librarian here in our tiny town. And I wish more people utilized it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, a very rich trip. Did you see the murals in the library? Did you visit the High Line? You two are simply wonderful grandparents. Bravo to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we just raced through on our way back to the hotel.

      Delete
  16. PS: will she read books on her phone? Does she have a Kindle or iPad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure. She just claims she does not like to read.

      Delete
  17. Lucky you! I hope I get vaca's like you someday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My grandkids all read a lot. It's just the way we are in our family. Actually, my son in law says I read more than any other person he knows.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.