Thursday, July 06, 2017

Keeping a Card Up Your Sleeve On a Rainy Day

Since I have led a sheltered life (meaning the last time I played poker I was 12 and played with my Dad), I have not a clue about the rules or etiquette or strategy for Poker.  Today my husband was playing five card stud (?) with his 12-year-old grandson.  I was asked about a Full House, and I said that was what we had on the 4th of July.


They both threw a sofa pillow at me.  When we got to talking about a Royal Flush, I assumed that had something to do with Princess Diana, and they told me to leave the room.  Just as well, because they were playing for quarters and I don't have any since the quarters you see in the photo below are what I took out of the jar in the laundry room where I put the loose change that I collect from the dryer and which I donated to the two of them.  I then took the same amount off of hubby's dresser and they were happy.



Anyway, they had a good time learning math and strategy on such a pummeling rainy day.  (We got 2.75 inches in 12 hours, although as I write this the sun is now out.)


Grandson's first hand was not good and not bad.  They seemed to be pretty even back and forth during the afternoon of card playing.  It was fun listening to them jibe and bluster each other as they got bolder and then more discouraged.

At least we got him away from videos on the I-phone!

22 comments:

  1. It is a miracle to get them off devices these days! I had so much fun in childhood learning cards, like hearts, Rummy, Spades, Crazy Eights, Scat, n Cribbage my altime fave!. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those devices! Yay for poker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good trick to get kids off electronic devices for any length of time. He will remember playing poker with his grandfather long after the games fade from memory, is my bet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything to get the kids off those darn electronic games!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can play poker but tend to forget what takes what until I play again. I never play for money though. I prefer dominoes :) or Parcheesi is good. I hate to lose or win, which makes games not so great for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to play for pretzels. Game was over when we finished eating them. Sometimes we went on for a few hours, if we had a really big bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. never got into poker myself. the grandkids used to like to play games when they were younger. they got older though and I recently donated about half the games to a charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is good to hear that an old game that you need hands to play rather than just fingers still can entertain kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how to play poker either, but I do know it is played without screens and buttons and batteries. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your ideas of what those phrases mean is brilliant! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your poker commmentary. I used poker to teach my boys counting and adding when they were pre-school. Played for Smarties or M&Ms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely way to spend an afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss playing cards. The children and grandchildren do their best to beat me at Gin Rummy. I'm not very good at poker because I can never remember what hand is higher than what hand. It is great when family visits and I can come up with something to keep all of us off our electronic gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful stuff that human interaction. For somme reason I can play cribbage, but all other card games are just numbers to me. Ugly days are good ones to go to a museum. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These grands live near all the DC museums and spend much time there, so have no interest in attending our small museums here.

      Delete
  15. This must have been such a marvelous time. You will (them too) remember times like these for years to come. God bless .

    ReplyDelete
  16. We used to occasionally play penny ante as I was growing up. We had a jar full of pennies we saved for just this game. So we'd divy them up and when we finally stopped playing, we all put our pennies back in the jar -- those who hadn't lost all their pennies. We took it seriously, but didn't play for keeps -- it was all just for fun. I think it's a fun way for kids to practice some math.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a house full of studs... lol

    Hope you're keeping well my friend. Enjoy those special moments with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I miss Dad's bi-weekly poker games here with his SIRS cronies. They were always great fun to talk & listen to before the games started. I tried to always have a variety of things for them to drink and eat. For Valentines day last year they bought me a miniature rose. Just the sweetest guys!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All I can play is Go Fish and War! I want the royal flush and not the bluff of love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had beginner's luck way back when and won at poker against my father in law. Haven't played poker since. Still, I have this notion that it would be "my" game, because it calls for strategies that are not just in the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you are having a good mid-July!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.