Thursday, May 18, 2017

United We/They Stand


Last weekend among a few Mother's Day things that I did, I visited several embassies with my son and daughter-in-law. It was the European Union Embassies Open House.

This year they celebrated the 70th anniversary of the Marshall Plan, which was crucial to rebuilding Europe after WWII. They are clearly "grateful to the United States for our unwavering support of European peace, unity and prosperity". And they are celebrating the 60th birthday of the EU, which all began with the Treaty of Rome!  Twenty-seven embassies participated, including Britain, which was a bit of a surprise.  The event was from 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM, so we were able to hit only a few of the countries.


There were food bites, cultural singing and dancing, and fun costumes.  Many of the embassies had experts more than happy to talk about their areas of expertise. 





I learned from one handsome man in Uniform at the Italian Embassy all about the Carabinieri in Italy and its extensive global mission.



The Italian Embassy was quite modern indoors.

Those Embassies that were actually open did have security, which went smoothly and with a smile.



I was able to see where the large wet umbrella goes in a $440,000 Roll-Royce at the British Embassy.  I asked the tall handsome man if he came with the car and he smiled and said "That could be arranged."



The Brits put out a Downton Abbey style table and some tall beauties.





I saw wonderful costumes of historic figures such as Pola Negri at the Polish Embassy and soldiers at the Latvian Embassy.



At the Latvian Embassy they were handing out all sorts of informational materials and when I asked if they had a list of their authors who had been translated into English the woman disappeared back into the Embassy and brought me a book of short stories, a book of poetry and the Ambassador to discuss literature!  Unfortunately, I was too polite to ask for a photo.



A day well spent, I would say despite the cold and damp weather.  A very important union and only those who know their history can understand its importance.  Now I want to visit Latvia!!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, you are really good at this international stuff after all your travels! Love those costumes n that car! I would be afraid to drive it...
    Maybe you should work in foreign affairs... Good pics n impressive info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like mini tours of several nations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would have been so interesting

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to spend a day. My grandson (10) would have loved that. He wants to be an ambassador. I don't know if he even knows what that is, but he is definitely a student of geography.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like an event I would have loved to attend. Now you've got me interested in Latvia. Isn't it wonderful that all I have to do is Google it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fun day. too bad you couldn't get around to more embassies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visit Prague too. I have a friend from college who teaches at the American School there and loves it.
    I flat out love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have become internet friends with a woman who has an alpaca farm in Latvia. From her posts I would recommend that if you visit, don't go in the winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a harsh land in winter.

      Delete
    2. Although with climate change...

      Delete
  11. That had to be a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Travelling european style, and, taking some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting experience. Knew a young adult woman whose parents had gone to S.A. from Latvia years ago, ultimately to U.S. where daughters raised. Dtr I met was atty - went to Latvia, ran for their legislature and was elected. Must have pleased parents. Never knew their WWII experience. Parents here died, think Dtr lost office eventually, but I lost contact so don't know status now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing such nice experiences and pictures as well. It is very interesting to see that cultures are so varied.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. That looks fascinating! I miss out on a lot, living in the middle of nowhere as I do.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.