Monday, April 24, 2017

Pennies Found

Like a bad penny or a fond memory, I am back. I have had a very full two weeks. I have not even had time to read a single blog post from all of you until a few days ago. Today I have a short reprieve and can post. My student had to work and cancelled her class. I should be weeding the garden on this cool and misty day. I have a house that really needs cleaning and at least two laundry loads to do. 

But instead, I will blog about my trip.  California was beautiful.  We stayed at a resort near the Crystal Cove State Park and did get to glimpse the spring flowers and the ocean on the first few days.




The grandchildren loved the beach but the Pacific is usually wet suit temperatures, so they did not swim. It was also a bit "surfy" and they scared the you-know-what out of me while their Dad explained that raising children meant you let them take risks.  Fortunately we only spent a short time here as there were many other activities on the agenda.







Even the heated pool at the resort required some baring it all in the cooler winds to enjoy.  The mist in the mornings off of the Pacific was lovely, but cooler than expected.  Yes, it was a "fancy" place.



Hubby had visited Knotts Berry Farm when he was about seven years old, decades ago, and wanted to revisit with his grands.  It had that old fashioned charm of an amusement park without all the dazzle, except for a wild ride or two, and while my grandchildren are really spoiled with fancy vacations, they were not so jaded that they could not enjoy the place.




Two of the grands panned for gold as hubby had done so many years ago and came away with a small jar of gold flecks (salted by the miner, of course.)
 



The youngest got into the spirit of the place at the gift shop.  The next day we toured Los Angeles Staple Center with all its bronze statues, saw the original Capitol Records building, Jimmy Kimmel's studio in Hollywood (door), walked on the "stars" on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, tested the hand prints that many stars placed at the Chinese Theater, and did a drive by of the homes in Beverly Hills.  I will not bore you with the hundred or so photos.  I had never done this type of tour, but my son-in-law was over the top with excitement, and my daughter was thrilled to see her favorite comedian's, Lucille Ball, former home.

We also spent an afternoon touring La Jolla beach and ate at a nice restaurant overlooking the beach.  I may share the lovely late afternoon photos later.

We spent five days here and then had to leave the resort as they could not accommodate us for the full week, but we got to go to the "real" San Diego and meet up with Mage and her husband for an outdoor lunch!  That in the next post.

22 comments:

  1. "raising children meant you let them take risks. " I agree, except not around Grandparents!

    We used to go to Knots back before Disneyland. I remember a train ride that was held up by robbers, and a house where things rolled uphill. Fun place! We moved east just before Disney opened and I never went until Mrs. C dragged me to Orlando...I liked Knots better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a fun trip. we are leaving in June for a week in Hawaii with our twin granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great trip. We did that when our kids were older than your grands but still open to fun like that. I have stayed in La Jolla quite a few times when hubby was there on business. Love the place. It's been years since I've been back to Southern California but there is a lot there that I enjoyed and would again. We even toured one of the cemeteries where celebs were stashed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Knott's Berry Farm when I visited it years ago. Sounds like a fun trip and so great you got to meet up with Mage and George.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back!
    Looks like you had a beautiful vacation. Love the gift shop hat. lol. The rock on the beach scares me the not a water person. Risks maybe so, but I don't think parents need to watch or know sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to read you again, Tabor. It sounds like a lovely vacation with the family. Now you need a rest?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love most things about California except that very cold water. You visited so many places in the state and it sounds like a wonderful time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like to had a marvelous time. I'm so glad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. welcome back.
    a lot still going on here by the woods
    everyone gone Thursday afternoon....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! We haven't done any of those things in such a long time. Sounds like you had a totally incredible vacation. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for a wonderful time and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you asked on my blog about Lulu, whether she is old and follows closely because she is getting deaf or blind. It's actually the opposite, she is only just over a year old and very puppyish and curious. She wants to be in on everything everyone does.

      Delete
  12. It sounds like everyone had a marvellous, fun time. La Jolla, no less. Is it still a fairly up-market area...where only the rich and famous play? :)

    It surprises me to hear that the waters of the Pacific up that way are cold...they're aren't down this way...other than in winter, of course...but then, not even so much in winter, either...not here in Queensland, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you took the time away from all those chores to post today. I'm envious of your holiday with the grands. I always think a child's pleasure adds to our own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back! When I was a kid I think I was taken to Knots but I have no memory of it. I love that beautiful place you stayed, and I am one of those people who loves the ocean, its smells, sand, and salty water. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, OK, we all want to see the Lucille Ball house. :)
    It really sounds as if you had a ball. Even at Knott's Berry Farm. But no Disneyland? Not when I was a kid.
    I so hope you enjoyed the Maritime Museum.
    I was honored to meet and chat with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I smiled with amusement at your description of MY Pacific Ocean - a bit surfy and cold. I only wade ankle deep in it off the Oregon coast, but my grands go into the surf and jump waist high waves, just as my kids did before them. Brrr.
    I look forward to your next vacation chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back, I also would love to see Lucille Ball's place, she was so funny and ascerbic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have anxiously awaited your return, hoping for stories and photographs. You have not disappointed. It is difficult for grandparents to see their grandchildren take chances at the approval of the parents. Still glad you got to catch picture of them on the rock in the ocean. I have visited family in Los Angeles and San Diego. Had lots of fun visiting but did not catch all the places you went.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the Hollywood hit when Joe and I were there and seeing and speaking with Drew Barrymore in a restaurant bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These celebrities cannot even get private time...LOL.

      Delete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.