Sunday, March 19, 2017

Keeping My Fingers Crossed

My daughter is an amazing woman. I wish I would have been more like her when I was a young working mother. She has a very demanding job with a consulting industry, works with some good people, is active with a women's legal organization, and also has to deal with some male chauvinist pigs in the company. Yet she has managed to hold her own while raising three children and running the household activities. This past week she came down with the flu on Monday after nursing her oldest who had contracted the flu the prior week.

She rarely calls us for help but she had to as she had scheduled a last minute fly-out to Chicago for just the day (an important luncheon with a group where one of the leaders, a cyber security expert, wanted her there for various reasons)  She also felt the meeting was important for her career.  Due to snow delays the week before, a repairman and a furniture deliveryman were scheduled for the day she was to fly out. We were happy to head up and house-sit since we had planned on driving up that weekend anyway for a Smithsonian lecture.


She made us an amazing Thai shrimp dinner the night before she caught her plane.



As luck would have it, the youngest son came down with the flu the afternoon before she left, so we did nurse duty, took him to the doctor's, and completed our house-sit duty for the next two days.  He seemed to weather the illness as children sometimes do.  Periods of rest...



 followed by creating a magic show for his granddad.


Hubby had been nursing a mild sore throat the day before we went up, so he was a bit compromised already.   Here we are four and a half days later, and back at home, and neither of us has gotten sick! We did get our flu shots this fall, but were told that they are only 50% effective this year.  Maybe we dodged the bullet?  I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

Daughter did not cancel the dog-walker which was good as I had not brought snow boots and the sidewalks were pretty slushy.  (Yes, some people call this a dog...).


I do not know how young parents juggled all that comes their way and I try not to think about it.

18 comments:

  1. Young working parents today have a lot to deal with. We are glad to be able to help out when we can too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing woman and kids from amazing parents...
    Prayers you two don't get sick

    "(Yes, some people call this a dog...") Makes me laugh. Your sense of humour is so spot on, its unreal.If you ever do a column or comic strip, I'll be one of the first subscribers.
    Adorable dog with a face that almost says...i know what she's going to say about me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were able to help and apparently have very strong resistance to whatever is going around. My friend John sat next to me this morning at the coffee shop and sneezed his way through breakfast. I just hope I don't get whatever he's got. And glad that daughter was able to travel, thanks you you two. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope everyone gets and stays well. Your daughter sounds like a remarkable person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the two of you stay well.
    Busyness of young people at this time
    well aware of. My youngest daughter, excellent busy career
    and two daughter's involved in everything keeps her busy,
    I miss them but understand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure your help was greatly appreciated. Cute pooch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are wonderful Thanks for being there for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to watch my friends and their husbands travel, work long hours, etc. while juggling kids and their activities, including illnesses, and wondered, too, how they did it. I left 15 years of corporate life for marriage and children, and was glad to do so. I was older and felt that I'd had the experience.

    When my daughters were younger, I didn't mind the possibility of them working a few years when they become adults and then giving it up for raising children if it was financially feasible. Now, I think not. I'm a bit more cynical/distrustful and want them to have more power in this changing world. But, who knows? My story might change.

    Kudos to your daughter! And to you and your husband for being great parents/grandparents. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter sure has a lot of energy. But then ... so do you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine. It was hard enough for me raising two kids and running a business and doing my work when the studio was right outside my back door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you don't get the bug. I know my daughter and daughter-in-law do a lot more than I ever did. I feel lucky I raised my kids when I did and I think there were less expectations

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is totally hectic for young people today. My son is a single parent (all kids in college now) and my daughter might as well be with her spouse working and traveling all the time plus she works outside the home as well. I was a single parent and managed but it all seems to be hitting my kids a lot worse in this 21st century. I thought computers were going to make things easier. I think they are worse for young parents.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your blog, looking forward to exploring your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sure hope that you're still both feeling well. Nice that you were able to help out like this. We parents still want to be needed. And I happen to think that's a cute little dog.. and I know that you probably do also. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you did not get the flu! You are magnificent grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  16. In agree with Hattie. When mine were that age, I dropped them at grandma paid for Montessori school, went to job 1, went to school, then went to job three. I don't know how any of is did it,.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Your daughter sounds like a super hero! Sounds to me like she does everything and does it well.
    And I love how proud of her you are. I hope you've told her exactly what you wrote here. I bet it would mean the world to her. :)

    By the way, the dog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's how I feel when I stay with any of my family. I don't know how they cope, yet I must have been the same once. Life certainly rushes by. Hope you are both well. Blessings from Dalamory

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.