Saturday, September 03, 2016

Endings Are Inevitable

The youngest grandchild has kept us on our feet for a week with boat trips, fishing, biking, museum visits, cleaning oysters in the trays and pulling up crab traps.  He is a mellow 5-year-old and so the visit was ultra smooth.  By late afternoon the day before, when we were fighting off napping, he was quietly playing in corner with small cars or racing cars on his Ipad which he brought with him.


We drove to the city yesterday to return the youngest grandchild and after we dropped him off we went out for an adult dinner evening to a nearby Vietnamese restaurant rated 4 stars on Zagat.  We had not eaten Vietnamese food in years and it was delicious, although not super authentic to my taste.  I polished off two glasses of Chardonnay and we just unwound as we looked back on the previous busy two weeks.

At the end of the meal we passed a bicycle shop and I went in to get my grandson a bike bell since his was broken and he reminded me I would get him an new one when we said goodbye.  We also stopped at the pastry shop which was recommended by the young couple with the 3-year-old eating at the next table.  (We always find ways to have conversations with others at restaurants.) We bought some cupcakes as they were too lovely to pass up and as our reward for two straight weeks with kids. (Yes, hubby has already eaten one!)



Then it was on home in the dark to "batten down the hatches" waiting for the edges of storm Hermine to come our way.

This morning there was no longer a scattering of children's shoes at the front door, there were no tiny sounds of video games coming from the sofa, there was no need to pour small glasses of juice and, of course, it was sad.  Even the earth outside reflected the quiet changes that endings bring with a very light rainfall and ten degree cooler weather.  The small gusts of wind were whipping leaves from the tops of trees before allowing them to fully change color.  I could feel that somewhere fall was moving in even though we should have 90 degree weather again by the end of the week!


Above he is enjoying his last sunset at the water.

20 comments:

  1. This puts a bit of an ache in my chest. The sudden quiet is sad, isn't it?
    It sounds like you had a wonderful time with the grandkids. And the food looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the storm goes well for you- sounds like alot of fun grandkid time for you. I'm getting an hour in watching them play video games. All they want to do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sweet, pensive sort of post, just right for me this morning, at the change of season here and there. Love the pictures of your very grand grand. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always come away feeling blessed, though I am in no way religious, after spending time with my three grandkids. To know that life will go on, with or without me, is a very comforting thing. Plus, like any grandparent, I think mine are the cat's pajamas, to use a term from my parent's time.

    Cheers,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great time. It is difficult for me not to be able to spend the amount of time I have in the past with my kids and grandkids. They are so interesting to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a busy grandkid time this summer also and as you said, it's both nice when the responsibility has been lifted but also so quiet and like something was taken away. It's especially nice when it goes well as your visits sounded like they did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you to have time with such a little sweetie! He will have wonderful memories to share with his children one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you got to have time with him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love having mine here for a week at a time though they are all nearly grown now with the youngest being 15.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that you have battened down the hatches and still have power, I thought I'd tell you that I have begun posting "Architectural History for Dummies." Greeks and Romans followed Vegas, and the Renaissance will follow tomorrow morning. When you have half an hour or so, I offer links of comparable simplicity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a good week. We did too, but very tiring. At the last minute, we got Friday off, which was a nice birthday treat for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cupcakes are well-deserved. I hope Hermine treats you well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a good summer with your grandkids.
    I also enjoyed having time with my daughter's family
    during summer holidays.
    Summer heat is still with us here in Japan but early
    in the morning or late at night I can feel that autumn
    (my favorite season) is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're still waiting for grandchildren so we can enjoy special times like the ones you've described.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm like Stephen ... still waiting, and living the grandparent life vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What joy grandchildren bring when they come for a stay with grandparents. My granddaughter, now 19 came for a stay recently and then she was off to return to college. Yes, the chatter is missed. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are always a bit sad to say goodbye and also very happy that our lives will once again revert to the quiet rhythm of old people! We like to think we're building memories that will remain after we're gone. Your little guy looks like a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. What a carrot-top. I seldom see that color hair around here! I'm sure he will remember some things from this visit and will have that happiness to go back to in later years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tabor, I know exactly that feeling and how quiet is much more quiet when Brooklynn is gone. Like you, I hold on to those photos and look back at them, remembering all the moments and the feelings that went with them and I look forward to the next time I'll see her again. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  20. How absolutely wonderful to be able to have that adorable grandchild with you for some summer fun! Those pastries look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.