Thursday, July 07, 2016

Re-Entry But Feeling Molecularly Challenged Thursday Thirteen



We are back.  Yes, it was about three weeks of travel.  First a few days in Santa Barbara, CA visiting a dear cousin who lost her loving husband years ago and is still adjusting.  Next a few days in Vancouver, BC, then boarding a Holland Cruise ship stopping at all the ports in Alaska along the way until we finally reached Seward and disembarked for another week in Anchorage with side trips to Denali National Park. 

With only 4 hours time difference from here at home it was still a loooong way from civilization, especially at the very end where people dressed and ate like hardworking lumbermen.  The 20 hour days of sunshine did not help in the adjusting either.  Weather was sunny, rainy and mostly in the high 60s F.

I took several thousand photos, even though I was trying to be be more circumspect!  I will not bore you with them all ... only a few scattered in coming posts.

Meanwhile, here is a short version of the trip on the Thursday Thirteen.

  1. Had to leave Santa Barbara as fires licked at her nearby mountains.  We tried to assure our cousin things would be fine  as she is in her 80's and has had to evacuate once before.
  2. Met up with my brother-in-law and finally after so many years met his second wife.  We were in the same house where my sister raised her children before her death and it was surprisingly painful. (Yeah, I know.)
  3. Vancouver was different than I expected...I could get my mind around it.
  4. They have a pseudo Disney type ride/movie of the Canadian land, which I actually enjoyed.
  5. I do not like medium or large cruise ships, but was able to enjoy this Holland one and kept thinking I could write a Hurcule Poirot story as I catalogued some of the passengers on our voyage.
  6. Crew were mostly Indonesian and so hubby and I (mostly hubby) got to practice what we remembered of the language.
  7.  I saw my first calving of a glacier which was worth the money for the whole trip.
  8. I could not see the puffins, even with binoculars!
  9. Alaska has only 600,000 plus people.  Everyone knows everyone.
  10. Most of the people who waited on us or worked retail were not "Alaskans".  We met Californians, Texans, Russians, Moldovans, Chinese, Taiwanese, and Serbians.
  11. Viewing a cow moose from a safe boardwalk, I realized how easy it was for them to disappear into the high grasses as the moose dissolved just beneath my vision.
  12. We could not take the hike my husband really wanted to try as the trail was closed due to a grizzly attack.  When it finally opened we drove up to the Park and were told it was closed once again due to a second attack--same bear that they thought had been driven away!
  13. Everyone who lives there says they love the winters and the dark days...really.  Methinks they are maybe overly enthusiastic?



19 comments:

  1. The cruise and the extra week sound wonderful. A bucket list item for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting trip! I find Vancouver BC to be a wonderful city, but I wouldn't want to live there. Too expensive. I cannot imagine days as long as they have in Alaska. Or nights. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. just back from my trip to the Scottish highlands. 20 hours of daylight there too, maybe 21. sounds like a great time. my sister and I want to take a cruise to see the glaciers before they are all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alaska is on my bucket list...maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home. Yes, please, we would like to see all the thousands of pictures....perhaps on a Facebook album. :) I hope your friend survived the fire, and sorry about the closed trail. Yes, Holland-America has only two of those smaller ships left. I so enjoyed our trip there on the Veendam. We would also take the Prinzendam almost anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great vacation. On my vacation, I think I will go into town to visit Sears instead of just the local Wal Mart. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be the one cruise I'd be tempted to take someday. I like Vancouver but Victoria even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Vancouver and really liked Alaska. Sounds like a wonderful trip. We got to see a glacier calve while we were there. It was a highlight of the trip. Sadly I wondered if they'd still be there for my grandkids to see. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds wonderful, i do want to see Alaska someday. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So want to go on that trip! Sounds tiring but fun being away from it all -

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to see the sights that you were fortunate to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thankful
    you and special one
    home safely..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a great trip and I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, Tabor, for about being circumspect. I remember when you went to Ireland and weren't going to share your photos. I'm so glad you did, I loved them and kept reminding myself I was going there soon. Now here you are doing something else on my Bucket List and I want to see those photos and hear the details, too. I've visited Vancouver and thought it a great place to visit although at the time I was hoping to return and do the Inland Passage. Please share! Your photography is always first rate and your view unique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sights and sounds of an Alaskan cruise are wonderful but ours was much too commercial. Sounds like you got into the feel of the real place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found our Alaskan adventure most fun. We decided we were more water people and hung out mainly on the Kenai Peninsula. Loved Seward. But, truly loved it all. Looking forward to your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I ever get to go to Alaska, I will conveniently forget hiking gear at home. Encounters with bears, not on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not up to hiking any more, but the grizzly threat would put me off. Amazing trip and loads of memories. Blessings from Dalamory

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are such a student of people. #2 touched me and I think watching a iceberg fall would have a big impact in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.