Tuesday, May 03, 2016

My Neightborhood -- Part II

If there is one thing most of us understand in the realm of physics is that eventually bubbles burst if they keep growing.  Maybe someday we will have a bubble material that expands endlessly, but not so at this time.  This applies to that housing bubble back in 2008 where the market growth and collapse brought the good and the bad down together.  Banks loaned money that should not have been lent and then sold the bad paper to another.  In the case of my neighborhood, a builder bought a piece of land that had a reality like a dark cloud hanging over it that he did not see. I wisely saw the housing collapse ahead of time if not being able to pin point its exact fall or extent.  I don't get much right in this world and this was a lucky call.  We sold our big house to move down here in a bit of a rush (I was not yet retired) because I was worried about the real estate bubble and being unable to sell my house.  I rented in the city for over two years and put my furniture in storage before I left my job.

If you read my prior post you note that there are some very wealthy people living here.  In most cases they are people that grew up here, earned their wealth here, and decided to stay.  There are also other people, like my husband and I, that while not rich, would be considered upper middle class by most standards, although our house is the smallest in the neighborhood --- so we just squeeze in there.  There are also a number empty lots in my neighborhood sitting idle because they claim a price to high to justify the type of house that would need to be built.  There is one large house on the water, the one with the tennis court, that sits idle as the owner rarely stayed here and has now passed on and his children may be deciding what to do with it.

Now, back to our builder.  When we bought our lot where we built I would drive by that builder's lot at the front end of the turn to our neighborhood a number of times.  They had cleared the land and I was wondering what was going to be built on that place.  Then a hurricane came through shortly after the clearing of that lot that brought down about 15 big pine trees on one side.  Building came to a halt while those trees were cleared away.

Finally, slowly, the house began to be built.  It was a big colonial which is popular in my state.  It was nicely landscaped and the builder seemed to have a good design.   It is all brick which is another step up in architecture where many homes have brick facing only.




It sat for some months after it was put up for sale and eventually the builder moved in.  He parked his big trucks, his boat, etc. in the driveway and the for sale sign still sat on the road.  The next year I was walking by and met a young woman with a toddler in front of the drive.  She explained she was the builder's sister and he had allowed her family to move in to help with expenses.  She was clearly delighted to be in this nice house.  More months went by.  I do not remember seeing any real estate agents showing the house, but I live a half mile down the road.  The asking price was in the high $400,000s.  This is not an outrageous price for this area, but the market had collapsed and there were no buyers anywhere. 

And then one day as I took my walk I saw the house was empty.  No cars, a few strewn toys, and padlocks on the doors.  Another year went by and the house was showing its neglect.  The neighbors and I tried to track the paperwork to see who owned it, but the mortgage had been sold and re-sold and now belonged to some conglomerate on the other side of the country!



As time passed, the house began to be robbed of its various parts and later used by others for overnights.  It does not take long before appliances, copper pipe, etc is gone! "They -- who now own the paper" put a log across the driveway which seemed to reduce the vagrancy.



This week I saw the log had been sawed into chunks and the driveway was open once again.  Maybe an investor has purchased it and has the capital to re-dress this grandam to her former glory.  I hope so, because I worry about fire in my woods and do not like to see such sadness.


The story of lives in distress, having no place to hang a hat, and craftsmanship destroyed is very depressing.  I could mourn the issue of my property values being compromised, but that hardly seems fair as this is a microcosm of happenings elsewhere, some far worse.  Seems we have forgotten this issue in our current election where bathrooms used have taken center stage.






21 comments:

  1. What a sad waste for sure. I love your photos, especially the one with the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad. it looks like a nice house. We paid cash for our town house right before the collapse. Prices are finally returning to what we paid, but we'd still lose money if we sold right now, which we don't plan on doing anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone's dream gone to ruin. So sad. Then again, if the family is OK, they will recover. Maybe the house will have a new owner to bring it back to its former glory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need a return to sanity, and i hope this pretty place gets a good owner soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is still a sad state of affairs in many parts of the country. And it really upsets me that no one, not ONE banker who caused this to happen has been indicted. Did you see "The Big Short"? I think of it often. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Florida real estate was pretty sad for a while, but it seems, from that amount of new construction going on last year and this, that things have turned again.
    Ah, Florida, where it is possible to get permits to build whole development on identified flood plains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, So sad tat such corruption continues with real estate developers. People vote their own problems into office down there.

      Delete
  7. This is sad in many ways, as you said. We still have boarded up foreclosed houses in our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sad. Hate the crisis and the result, especially the vandalism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Houses fall apart quickly when no one is living in them. and I suppose on those big secluded lots they are easy to vandalize. I was surprised by the price for that huge house on all that land. $400,000 sounds cheap to me especially since houses built on 50' x 100' in my old neighborhood in the city post-gentrification are going for $500,000 and up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just after the housing bubble, so it might have gone for more the year before.

      Delete
  10. Thanks f0r sharing the story of that beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopefully somebody has bought the house, maybe it has been in the foreclosure process, which takes years to go through. 400k sounds low, like a foreclosure price. Maybe you will get a nice young family in there; I hope so (abandoned toys are sad.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our real estate picture is odd. It is illuminating to see what is happening where you are. Broken dreams. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our real estate picture is odd. It is illuminating to see what is happening where you are. Broken dreams. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is happening everywhere, Tabor, and it is hearbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sad to see a beautiful home be left to rack and ruin.
    I have lived in a lot of homes, and designed one. Whether I owned them or not I always took good care of them. It is incomprehensible to me how someone could desecrate any property.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A real tragedy. There are cities all over the country where people were foreclosed on, kicked out of their home, then the house was allowed to sit in ruin. Boggles my mind why it wouldn't have made more sense to keep it occupied which could have been worked out. Are we doomed to repeat this scenario again and when? Hope someone who cares gets the house you pictured.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of our neighbor couples died four years ago. It appeared they had a nice home. Their son, a local county commissioner, inherited from his parents and built a castle up on the hill. He has let his family home fall to rack and ruin while running cattle on the property. Windows and doors are being shattered and cows roaming through the house. And yet we have homeless people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Mother's day too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How very sad to see that house deteriorate. We had a couple of houses in our neighborhood that deteriorated while the elder owners lived there. New owners moved in and we were amazed at how much they improved the house. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.