Saturday, April 30, 2016

A Little Story Repeated Everywhere

A number of communities went through painful degeneration during that deep recession we were thrown into 8 years ago.  Even my little bit of a neighborhood was touched by this.  I remembered this while taking a walk around last week on a warmer spring day.  All of the homes in my neighborhood  are on 4 acres or more of woodland because the county was hoping to protect the waters by using limited development, and required this much land for a permit to build.  So this place is pretty rural.

If I walk to the end of my driveway and look to the right, this is what I see.

It is a little less than a mile to the main road in that direction.

This is what my driveway looks like if I am coming home.  Note the lovely landscape bed to the left that reflects we have deer!

Here is the gang hanging outside the tennis fence at my neighbors fancy house.

Above is the house of another neighbor who owns his own landscape company.  So, of course, his lawn is perfect.  He resides down at the cul-de-sac about a half mile in the opposite direction of my driveway.  (Note even he has plastic flowers under the mailbox because of the deer!)

Yes, those yellow flowers at the base of the mailbox are plastic and not spring daffodils.



This family that lives here has a very fancy entrance and actually won a lottery years ago!

The entrance to my "next door" neighbor's house is not so fancy.

But if we walk up to the main road we come to this house.  This is the house that has a sad story and I will write about that in my next post.

18 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful neighbourhood with that beautiful fresh green of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom lived on Tripps Creek in Oxford Md....the drives look familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't be lovelier or not in my dreams anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a nice neighborhood. Now I am curious about the sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live in a beautiful neighborhood. Wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Four acres is a lot of property. But then the deer keep it trimmed for you. :-)
    It really is beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful place. That house looks so lonesome, can't wait for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very beautiful place. I love the deer, we have our own little bunch here, too. I look forward to hearing the story about that house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely. reminds me of where I grew up sort of. a neighborhood on the then edge of town, minimum lot size 1 acre though most had many more, views of neighbors obstructed by piney woods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Probably how it would look were it mine n still worked nights... Nice spot you have there- I hope you appreciate the privacy, I have none. Huge Apartments out my window- Already 2 traffic accidents , less than 20 feet from my window, which is about 10 feet from the road. I'm in a very populated zone. I liked being at the woods where I was before. Still. there are occassional deer here

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty place to live. Yet even palace walls cannot keep out the fact that sometimes, sad or bad things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, now you have me waiting for the story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All that green is so beautiful. Yes, that last house and lawn look sad and unlived in. I grew up in a New England salt box on five acres. Personally, I miss it a little, but I love living in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing, the power of zoning laws.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing, the power of zoning laws.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am going after some plastic flowers. I can't keep real ones outside.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.