Thursday, January 21, 2016

Keeping Balance

We went to our monthly master gardener meeting last night and were surprised to find almost an inch of snow as we left in the early evening.  It was still falling in soft large flakes as we headed home down the highway.

It seemed we were not the only ones surprised as people were sliding and driving much slower in the dark.  We did a little fish-tailing on the turn into the intersection and this was in my husband's large and heavy Ford Explorer, so you can imagine how difficult it was for smaller cars to keep their traction.  The snow wetness, the temperature, and whatever else made for some acrobatics you do not want to see except on TV.  The city to the north of us came to a standstill for NINE HOURS.  Some people did not get home from work until 2:00 or 300 in the morning.  Officials had been focused on this weekend's bigger storm and failed to get roads salted for this little dusting.  It only takes an inch of snow to shut down an entire metropolis.  I am sure that officials heads will roll, but at least we are not drinking lead in our water, so I am willing to give the traffic department a pass.

I am supposed to assist with a seed exchange meeting on Saturday, but am pretty sure that will be postponed to the snow date next month.  I am glad, because I have not had time to sort the few seeds I can share.

I like having an excuse to not do anything but sit in the house and waste time for the next three days!  I am in truth a bum at heart.  Maybe I will at least make an effort to write...

Except, I really feel like making chocolate chip cookies.  I have half a bag of walnuts left over and flour I need to use before it gets too old.  Then I will have to run 4 miles on the elliptical to justify eating two of the warm cookies!

Stay safe and warm inside.

20 comments:

  1. I so am not in balance right now. Some of that is part of writing and sticking to the grindstone with the WIP. Maybe I'll worry about balance next week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does not take much to make a mess. I don't mind as long as I can stay at home and have heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as though a big one is on the way. Best to be stocked up on those chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the big storm. Big cities really struggle with snow. Here frequent winter storms are a matter of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously doubt you're a bum, but you do remind me of the farmer who decided to take the day off and got up at the crack of dawn to get a head start on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A half inch is more difficult to drive in than 4, I think- more slippery. Enjoy the hibernation! I'd be reading probably-

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're down Baltimore way, be VERY careful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not snow here, it's rain. We can drive, but otherwise being housebound is the same issue. It makes me lazy. I want to eat. I did my 10 miles on the stationary bike, good for two small cookies. I have done lots of political reading today. Crazy stuff going on out there in our big, unsettled country , and the world beyond. Maybe staying inside and eating is the way to go after all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went outside and played with my friends today in the light rain. We've got plenty of precipitation on tap right now, but no snow. I heard about how awful it was out there yesterday and last night. I hope they are ready now, before the Snowmaggedon hits! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where there is snow, there are many people baking with sugar and chips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you don't have too difficult a time with the storm. We are getting rain from it now, and will have cold sunshine all weekend after it passes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is cancelled! I hit the library for some new reading material and movies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is cancelled! I hit the library for some new reading material and movies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a Canadian, I prefer not to drive in snow although we can manage. We have to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, just eat them and read. LOL Let guilt fly out the windows.
    Your weather is our number one news item here. I worry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds good to make chocolate chip cookies!
    Stay warm and nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fifteen friends? I didn't do that, you know. Grrrrrrrr.........

    ReplyDelete
  18. since it doesn't snow here, religious holidays are that way for me, a perfectly good excuse to sit and veg out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your body is saying, Eat, Rest. We never get that slowdown here in Hawaii, and I kind of miss it.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.