Monday, June 01, 2015

Boats and Ships

Since this was a river cruise we spent most of our time near the water and the first two days docked in Paris.  Thus, our walk to the Eiffel Tower took us past many water vehicles.

With the cost of renting in Paris, I think it is safe to assume that most of these boats are full time homes.  In some cases they have places to park their cars above the river, but in most cases they do not.  All kinds of people live on these boats...blue collar workers and professionals.  Fees range from 1,000 Euros annually to above 5,000 the closer to the center of Paris.


Clearly some of these boats NEVER move, or do not move far.


This one above looks roomy and gloomy with no windows.


This deck is covered in patio furniture for an evening of wine and socializing.  Of course, these photos belie the loads of maintenance and work that is required on a boat!


Finally after a number of blocks walking and peeping into the lives of the water people we reached the famous Tower and this was my first real view!

12 comments:

  1. When we were in Paris, the Seine was so high they wouldn't allow the tour boots. We did see the houseboats near San Francisco, and they are permanent residences for many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend whose friend and her husband lived on one of those houseboats in France cruising up and down the river for a few years. She spent some time one summer with them and said that they would dock and visit the little French villages and in the evenings, the people living on them got together for parties and had an active social life. Sounds like an interesting way to retire...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's astonishing when you finally stand next to it, isn't it? Living on a boat never interested me, a house is expensive to maintain but a boat is worse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love boats, all shapes and sizes. I lived on a boat for three months years ago, it was a very happy and social time in my life. Would do it again in a heartbeat although not in such public view. Living on a boat in Paris sounds wonderfully romantic to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would be fun to live on a boat for awhile, but windows would be a great asset to say the least.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Wow! What fun to walk along that river and seeing those amazing houseboats. They look quite pretty with all the plants. I guess it's easy to water them. How exciting to walk around Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And it's beautiful. One of those boats has a gardener living on board. You can see them so clearly from the top of the tower too. I was lucky to get some pictures of the Titanic's shuttle when we were there. She was tied up along the river bank a derelict restaurant. Now she is in Ireland and restored...as are those beautiful houseboats that I missed seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonder if they rent rooms on the Nova? Love to be on one of those decks on summer evening or two. What scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in Paris when I was about 12 or 13. Fun, but we only had a couple of days, really, so stayed on the main roads and saw the touristy things. I love to explore neighborhoods - like you did here, albeit one on a waterway. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you're having a fantastic trip ... love the photos so keep 'em coming! A bientot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. when I was a kid, the summer camp had floating cabins for the teens. I loved that and it made me want to live on a houseboat one day. I'd still like to live on a houseboat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have been to Paris several times but not on the river. It's a totally different perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.