Monday, May 25, 2015

Faded Photographs

My final pre-written post that gets "published" while I am still on my trip.  I should not write that because it does take the steam out of this post.  "There she is drinking French wine (for which she has no palate) in some place along the Rhone which has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world while I am reading her tripe about memories on her blog!"

The other day I was looking for a photo of my husband in his late twenties for a guest to prove that hubby had been going bald way back in graduate school, even though they did not remember him that way.  This is the real reason for old photos...so that you can embarrass the family.  I finally found our wedding album.  This album was put together by me who had not a dollar of money for a professional photographer and thus it was filled with photos from my husband's best friend, who was the designated photo person.  Therefore, there are no photos in the church!  Just photos of us leaving and the reception after.

BUT the real concern I just discovered was that 44 years of time had faded these photos and they looked older than me!  I was so sad, because I have been leaning on my brother to digitize all the photos he has of my family to keep them safe and available.  Those photos are not fading much because they are black and white and printed with more durable chemicals.  My color photos in the wedding album, on the other hand, are truly sad as the chemicals are breaking down.

Guess I have a big digitizing project (I have a scanner) to work on through the summer between the three weeks of grand-children visits when I return from France!  Any and all advice is welcome on old photo work.

(Here is the historic post about that wedding time if you joined my blog in these later years and have nothing else to do today.)

5 comments:

  1. No suggestions but to get it done ASAP! And if you can afford it, have a few of them professionally restored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post
    and the older one.
    Continue enjoying this wonderful trip
    and safe travel wishes on your way home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet love story, loved the tale of your Big Island honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a big job to scan photos, but it's such a GOOD feeling once it's done and preserved. I can now search for photos so much easier and the kids have copies of all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! That was an incredible wedding and honeymoon. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.