Saturday, April 18, 2015

Found It!


Shortly after posting the prior post I found a plastic shoe-box-size container that I had moved all of my seeds into sitting on the top shelf of my closet way up in the dark with the spider webs and dust to keep it company. I opened it, noted most of the seeds are now years old, went outside and scattered a bunch of seeds everywhere in my wildflower bed and raked them in gently and watered. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I then planted small potting containers of sunflower seeds as these get eaten by critters before they get a head start.  Some of the sunflowers we might give away at one of the garden events.  All of this stuff is now going into the ground here and there and anywhere, because the seeds are probably not viable. I certainly do not need to save them.  I have two packets of Forget-Me-Nots and most people know that these are hard to kill even with time.


I have resolved to empty this box and start fresh this fall.


We are now planning some more weeding and then maybe a sunset canoe trip from a nearby woodland park boat ramp. I will, of course, take the camera, and if I see anything worthwhile, I will share.





17 comments:

  1. Looking forward to photos of your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How peaceful to take a canoe ride...no motor noise to spoil the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you are giving them a chance. :) You make my spring a happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mystery solved. Now on to the mystery of what will pop up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found your treasure trove. Hope to see what comes up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scattering seeds that way sounds like a delightful way to end up with some lovely surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for those pink blossoms! A canoe trip sounds like Heaven. I just ordered seeds - I can dream of spring even though it's delayed here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's exactly what I did this year. Seeds that were current and up to 3 yrs old. Everything got scattered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pic of the dogwood is wonderful. The pink one I have didn't do well this year, but the white one was fine.
    Time to hit the water here as well, so refreshing. It was 87 today, 91 tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some seeds remain viable for hundreds of years (like poppies) so you never know what will pop up. All good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like that photo. Well, both of them really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope some old seed surprises come up to keep you guessing. I'm always happy to see some from years ago
    When I have large cleaning moves I always forget the new locations, n remember the old ones. The brain has a new info issue as we age, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So gorgeous pink blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh thank goodness! I'm glad I read this right after the last post. Seeds found! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm living a parallel life in which I lost my seed tin and then found it and vowed to buy new seeds this year. My first sprinkle was of Swiss Chard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Must be the season. I'm finding a lot of odds and ends as I clean up my office, like a whole set of acrylic paints and small canvases I had forgotten. Now I think I'll paint something!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous12:31 AM

    I hope they grow! I have old packets of seeds I need to just scatter myself.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.