Monday, July 28, 2014

Beefcake? and Perhaps a Little Cheesecake?

One reader asked if I was writing a romance novel based on the subject of my last post.  No, I am not a big reader or writer of that genre, although I must admit as a much younger woman I consumed my share of bodice rippers with lantern-jawed mysterious men.  Fellow blogger, Rain Trueax, is the romance writer that got me thinking about abs because she has written a number of books that require covers with abs. We talked about cover designs for such books as she does her own.  She has a passion for our country's early history and the wild west and the cultures of that time.  She does extensive research to make her characters come to life so that the story she weaves is more than just romance, and her women are as strong as her men.  If you want to know more about her writing and her books you can go here.

Anyway (please read this in an Ellen DeGeneres voice), I had an opportunity to explore more Beefcake the other day.  I went to an event with my children and grandchildren.  This is an event that I would never have gone to on my own, and unless you are a former marine or married to one, I doubt very much you would have ever gone to one of these either.  (By the way it costs $25 a head just to be an observer, so I probably will not go to one of these again!)  Oorah!!

There was lots of dust and mud and sweat and blood.  You may not know, but it seems that the term cheesecake actually may have originated in Britain way back in the 1660's!  Sexy (and promiscuous) women were referred to as cheesecakes and tarts.  The few women in the last of my photos in this post are NOT cheesecake and certainly more beefcake.   The theory on the word beefcake is that movie cameramen were the first to use the term in the late 1940s and early 1950s when they discovered that women liked to look at well-honed men and actors started taking off their shirts and smiling in that certain way.

These guys above are serious because they clearly are willing to get dirty.  We all know how bad dirt is.

This beefcake (with hench woman and child in tow) is not too proud to wear his glasses when the challenge is done.



(No comment on the dude immediately above!)

 Get down there and eat that dirt!



NO, the woman in the foreground is not dead or tired, she is actually rolling all the way across to each log.

They were moving very slowly by this time as the ropes were super slippery from all the mud.

As they walked up to the last few challenges they all looked like the walking dead to me!



BUT before they could shower and reveal all those six-packs they still had this last challenge to leap over!  "Oorah!!"


I know, you are disappointed that these are not as sexy as you had hoped.  Maybe you can go on over to Mage's ComicCon photos as she always manages to catch a sexy type or two and the costumes she photographs are far more intriguing.

Oh ... one last photo to let you know why in the heck I was there. It was to support my granddaughter and grandson.  She doesn't usually run in purple net skirt, but Dad was too late on arrival to get her changed!

14 comments:

  1. I can only imagine the type pf person who can go out and challenge themselves physically. I wish I had a bit more ambition to be physical but unfortunately most of my pursuits are sedentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and I never even knew there were such events. The things we learn by coming to blogs like yours ;) always something new. And thanks for mentioning my site. I do try to write about more than writing there, really any sort of creativity as I've tried a lot of them through the years. I have a new cover for one of my books without beefcake or a couple together. I try that every so often see if it works lol This one though because I consider the book about a lot more than romance, might just last ;). That's the problem with covers. You have to try and satisfy yourself as writer and the readers who might just look further if your cover interests them-- or give it up totally before they even read a blurb. Interesting world is all I can say about it-- as yours always is

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have entertained the idea of participating in an obstacle course in my younger days. $35 to observe seems excessive to me since it would make it a financial burden for families to come to spend the day and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine who is a very tough lady participated in one of these about a couple of years ago. She's a braver woman than i, and so are these people, and i salute them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good to me. Oooo rah.

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once tried to run a bit of an obstacle course once and wasn't in shape to do it. The sand hill at the end got me, and I was sick shortly after. Thanks for reviving that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my...not going to find me in that sort of competition! Also, I just had some help with a cover for my first novel to be published, and it was quite interesting to find just the right fit for my story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so out of the loop I thought beefcake was food! I enjoyed the photos and once covered myself in mud with a bunch of other women as a beauty treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful feminist statement for your granddaughter to run the macho contest in a purple tutu. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow i think i broke a sweat just imagining running in that...even without having jump fire...intriguing too on the origin of cheese cake...i like mine with a fruit topping...ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. That does look like quite alot of action n exercise going on! I say Yay you didn't have to scale that steep barrier- getting out of that may be worth the money paid! For charity I'm guessing...

    Almost as much fun as watching the "Wipe Out" show where they always fall off the huge foam stuff into the muck-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only did I enjoy your six pac photos, I forgot to tell you that all little girls here run in net tutus. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes. But your granddaughter looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This must be a lot of fun to watch, but ummmm... $25? Hmmmm... I really appreciate your sharing the photos though. :- )

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.